No. S 95
Building Control Act
Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 1998
2. Regulation 5 of the Building Control Regulations (Rg 5) (referred to in these Regulations as the principal Regulations) is amended —
by deleting paragraph (1) and substituting the following paragraphs:
“(1) Where any building works consist of repairs, alterations or additions to an existing building and the qualified person who prepared the building plans reasonably suspects that the building works may affect the structural stability or integrity of the building, the building plans referred to in regulation 4 shall bear a certification from an appropriate professional engineer that —
he has inspected the building and investigated its overall structure; and
in his opinion, the building is capable or incapable of resisting the forces and movements which may be increased or altered by reason of the repairs, alterations or additions.
(1A) Where the qualified person who prepared the building plans referred to in paragraph (1) is a professional engineer in the appropriate discipline, he may provide the certification himself.”; and
by deleting paragraph (3).
3. Regulation 11 of the principal Regulations is deleted.
4. Regulation 60 of the principal Regulations is deleted and the following regulation substituted therefor:
60. . Where air-conditioning and artificial lighting, or mechanical ventilation and artificial lighting, are installed or intended to be installed —
in the bathroom, toilet or lavatory of a residential building; or
in any other building,
the provisions of these Regulations relating to natural ventilation and natural lighting shall not apply.”.
5. Regulation 61 of the principal Regulations is amended by deleting paragraph (1) and substituting the following paragraph:
“(1) The design and installation of —
any air-conditioning or mechanical ventilation system; or
the alteration or extension of any existing air-conditioning or mechanical ventilation system,
shall be in accordance with the provisions of this Division and with the Code of Practice for Mechanical Ventilation and Air-Conditioning in Buildings — SS.CP 13:1980.”.
6. Regulation 63 of the principal Regulations is amended —
by deleting paragraph (3) and substituting the following paragraph:
“(3) The exhaust point of the extract ventilation system shall be arranged —
to discharge sufficiently far away from any doorways, apertures or other openings to prevent the re-entry of objectionable odours or flammable vapour into the premises; and
not to face or discharge anything in the direction of any adjacent residential building.”; and
7. The principal Regulations are amended by inserting, immediately after regulation 63, the following regulation:
63. A.—(1) Where a basement car park is naturally ventilated in accordance with regulations 57 and 58(3), a supplementary mechanical exhaust system for the removal of vehicle fumes shall be installed.
(2) The supplementary mechanical exhaust system shall have a volume flow rate of 20% of the rate of air change required for mechanical ventilation of car parks or 1.2 air change per hour.
(3) The exhaust point of the supplementary mechanical exhaust system shall be located at a position not exceeding 650 mm above the finished floor level.
(4) The discharge point shall —
be located sufficiently far away from doorways, windows or other openings to prevent the re-entry of objectionable vapour or fumes into the premises; and
not face or discharge anything in the direction of any adjacent residential building.”.
10. Regulation 110(2) of the principal Regulations is amended by deleting the words "or an application for approval of plans of any installation, alteration or extension to any air-conditioning and mechanical ventilation system or fire protection system," in the third, fourth and fifth lines.
11. . Part II of the Third Schedule to the principal Regulations is amended by deleting paragraphs 2 and 3.
12. . The Seventh Schedule to the principal Regulations is amended by inserting, immediately after sub-paragraph (d) of paragraph 1, the following sub-paragraph:
Barbed wire, corrugated or sheet metal:
Barbed wire, corrugated zinc sheet, or sheet metal, for boundary fence.”.
[G.N. Nos. S491/92; S528/95; S116/96; S320/96; S206/97; S309/97; S413/97]
[PWD BCD 43.7.5 Vol 8; AG/LEG/SL/29/97/1 Vol 1]