No. S 96
Building Control Act
Building Control Act (Amendment of Schedule) Order 1998
2. The Schedule to the Building Control Act is deleted and the following Schedule substituted therefor:
BUILDING WORKS WHICH DO NOT REQUIRE APPROVAL OF PLANS OF BUILDING WORKS OR a PERMIT TO CARRY OUT BUILDING WORKS
1. Building works carried out for or in connection with —
any retaining wall, or earth retaining structure, with a visible height of not more than 1,000 mm;
any boundary wall, boundary fence or gate;
any awning, windowhood or cantilevered roof constructed of glazed or clay tiles, and having a projection not exceeding 1,400 mm;
any awning, windowhood or cantilevered roof constructed of lightweight material, and having a horizontal projection not exceeding 3,000 mm;
any single storey trellis, pergola, shelter, gazebo and the like;
any canal or drain not exceeding 1,500 mm in depth;
any box culvert with a span not exceeding 5,000 mm and a depth not exceeding 1,500 mm;
any stall or shed of lightweight material within any premises used for the purpose of holding a trade fair, fun fair or any exhibition;
any pipe rack or support not exceeding 2,000 mm in height;
any height restriction gantry;
any concrete or brick vault used for housing underground tanks;
any plinth, platform or other base with a visible height not exceeding 1,000 mm from the ground level and erected for the purpose of supporting any mechanical plant, tank, equipment, machinery or other components (other than a building);
the enclosing of a balcony, yard or terrace with windows and glass panels in residential buildings;
the creation of any opening in a non-load bearing wall or the sealing up of any wall opening; or
the demolition, restoration or reinstatement of any non-load bearing wall.
2. Replacement or changing of windows and doors.
3. Replacement of existing floor and wall finishes.
4. Replacement or changing of any false ceiling with lightweight materials.
5. One to one replacement of timber roof and roof covering.
6. Erection or alteration of —
any partition or partition wall in any bungalow, semi-detached, terrace or linked house; or
any partition or partition wall constructed of lightweight material in any other building.
7. Construction of any raised floor, or the topping up of balconies, and the like, with lightweight materials.
8. Erection of any single storey detached booth, kiosk, guardhouse, bin centre, and the like, not exceeding an area of 10 square metres.
9. Installation of any roller shutter or grilled door.
10. Erection of any single storey lean-to extension with roof covering of glazed or clay tiles, or of any lighter material, in any bungalow, semi-detached, terrace or linked house, subject to compliance with building set-back and area of coverage requirements under the Planning Act (Cap.232).
11. Erection of any single storey shed or hut not exceeding an area of 10 square metres for housing fuel tanks, mechanical or electrical equipment.
12. All air-conditioning works except that in the case of any window air-conditioning unit, or any condensing equipment of an air-conditioning unit, that is installed —
on the exterior of a building (other than a bungalow, semi-detached, terraced or linked house); or
in such a manner that a part of such unit or equipment projects outwards from a building (other than a bungalow, semi-detached, terraced or linked house),
the unit or equipment, as the case may be, must be supported by a structural supporting system installed on the exterior of the building by a trained worker, and the unit or equipment must be affixed to the structural supporting system by a trained worker.
13. Nothing in this Schedule shall exempt any person from complying with the requirements of any other written law.
14. In this Schedule —
“Construction Industry Development Board” means the Construction Industry Development Board established by the Construction Industry Development Board Act (Cap. 51);
“lightweight material” means —
any sheet or board material such as timber board, plywood, fibreboard, plasterboard, aluminium sheet, corrugated metal sheet or polycarbonate sheet;
any concrete product made with lightweight aggregates such as pumice, perlite, vermiculite or other soft or light material; or
any hollow concrete block, hollow glass block, autoclaved aerated concrete block and the like;
“non-load bearing wall” means a wall which supports no load other than its own weight;
“partition” means a temporary or easily removable vertical panel of lightweight construction for the subdivision of spaces within a building;
“trained worker” means a person who holds a certificate issued by the Construction Industry Development Board for installing a structural supporting system to support a window air-conditioning unit or a condensing unit that is installed —
on the exterior of a building; or
in such a manner that a part of such unit or equipment projects outwards from a building.”.
[PWD BCD 43.7.2 Vol 7; AG/LEG/SL/29/97/1 Vol 1]