—(1) The Registrar may, from time to time, by public notice or such other means as he may think fit, invite bids for particular index marks and registration numbers for any type or category of vehicle.
(2) Every application under paragraph (1) shall be —
made in such form and within such time as may be required by the Registrar;
accompanied by a deposit of the full proposal amount expressed in the application in such form as may be required by the Registrar; and
subject to such other terms and conditions as the Registrar may think fit to impose.
(3) No application shall be withdrawn after it has been received by the Registrar.
(4) The Registrar may, in his discretion, allow the particulars of a bid or a bidder to be amended upon payment of a fee of $21.40 (inclusive of GST).
(5) The Registrar may, in his discretion, reject any application without assigning any reason.
(6) The Registrar shall not be obliged to allot the index mark and registration number applied for to the applicant offering the highest proposal amount and the Registrar’s determination of successful applications shall be final.
(7) The Registrar shall notify every applicant of the outcome of his application.
(8) Subject to paragraph (9), a successful applicant shall, within 12 months of the date of the notification issued by the Registrar under paragraph (7), use the index mark and registration number allotted to him —
for the purpose of registering a motor vehicle in his name; or
on any vehicle registered under his name upon payment of a fee of $321 (inclusive of GST) for the cancellation of the index mark which has been assigned to that vehicle under rule 14.
(9) Upon an application by the successful applicant, regardless of whether the period specified in paragraph (8) has lapsed, the Registrar may extend (or further extend) that period by a further period of 6 months for each application.
(10) Every application for an extension of time under paragraph (9) shall —
be accompanied by —
an extension fee of $1,000; and
a processing fee of $21.40 (inclusive of GST); and
unless the Registrar allows otherwise, be made and posted within such time as to be received by the Registrar at least 7 days before the period specified in paragraph (8) lapses or, where any extension of time is granted, the last extension thereof lapses.
(12) Where a successful applicant fails to comply with the requirements of paragraph (8) within the period specified therein or within any extension of such period as may have been granted to him under paragraph (9) —
he shall not be entitled to the use of the index mark and registration number earlier allotted to him;
the deposit which has been paid by him under paragraph (2)(b) shall be forfeited; and
the Registrar may then assign the index mark and registration number for the registration of any other motor vehicle or for further bidding.
(13) The Registrar may, in his discretion and subject to such conditions as he thinks fit, upon the request of a successful applicant and payment of a fee of $21.40 (inclusive of GST), assign or transfer to any person the index mark and registration number allotted to the applicant.
(14) Any deposit paid under paragraph (2)(b) by an unsuccessful applicant shall be refunded to him without interest within 2 weeks of the determination of the successful applications or such other time as the Registrar may decide.
(15) Notwithstanding anything in this rule, the Registrar may, in his discretion and subject to such conditions as he thinks fit to impose, do either or both of the following:
waive, in whole or in part, payment of any extension fee referred to in paragraph (10)(a)(i) or any fee referred to in sub-paragraph (b);
at the request of a successful applicant and upon payment of a fee of $21.40 (inclusive of GST), do all or any of the following:
cancel the index mark and registration number allotted to the applicant;
refund to the applicant any deposit paid under paragraph (2)(b) in respect of that index mark and registration number;
cancel any extension of time granted to the applicant under paragraph (9);
refund to the applicant a pro-rated amount of the extension fee paid under paragraph (10)(a)(i) in respect of that extension of time according to the proportion which the remaining period of the extension (rounded to the nearest day) bears to the total period of that extension.