—(1) Every person applying for a vehicle licence shall make such a declaration and furnish such particulars with respect to the vehicle for which the licence is to be taken out or otherwise as may be prescribed.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this Act as to general licences and provisions as to the transfer of licences to replacement vehicles, every vehicle licence shall be issued for the vehicle specified in the application for the licence and shall not entitle the person to whom it is issued to use or keep any other vehicle.
(3) The Registrar shall not be required to issue any vehicle licence for which application is made unless he is satisfied —
that the licence applied for is the appropriate licence for the vehicle specified in the application and all fees and taxes due and payable in respect of the vehicle and any penalty recoverable from the registered owner of the vehicle under this Act have been paid;
in the case of an application for a licence for a vehicle purporting to be the first application for a licence for the vehicle, that a licence has not previously been issued for that vehicle;
that either —
for the period of the licence there will be in force the policy of insurance or the security required by law in relation to the use of the motor vehicle by the applicant or by other persons on his order or with his permission; or
the motor vehicle is a vehicle to which section 3 of the Motor Vehicles (Third-Party Risks and Compensation) Act (Cap. 189) does not apply at any time when it is being driven by the owner thereof or by an employee of his in the course of his employment or is otherwise subject to the control of the owner;
in the case of a motor vehicle to which section 91 applies, that a test certificate in respect of the vehicle has been issued at any time within 3 months prior to the issue of the vehicle licence or within such other period as the Registrar may approve; and
in the case of a heavy vehicle, that for the period of the licence there will be in force a vehicle parking certificate or such other document issued by the relevant authority under the Parking Places Act (Cap. 214) in respect of the parking of the heavy vehicle.
[7/90; 33/93; 8/94; 28/2001]
(4) Without prejudice to subsection (3), the Registrar may refuse to issue a vehicle licence if he is satisfied that the vehicle in respect of which the licence is to be issued is registered in the name of a person who, pursuant to a warrant of court, has been arrested in connection with an offence under this Act or any written law specified in Part I of the First Schedule and the offence has not been tried and determined by the court.
(5) Rules made under this Act may provide for the issue of a new licence in the place of a licence which has been damaged, rendered illegible, lost or destroyed, and for the information to be furnished and the fee to be paid for the issue of a new licence.
(6) Any vehicle licence may be transferred in the prescribed manner.
(7) Subject to subsection (8), the Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, amend Part I of the First Schedule.
(8) The Minister shall, before exercising his powers under subsection (7), consult the Minister responsible for the written law to which the amendment relates.