—(1) Where an application has been made under section 3 of the repealed Registration of United Kingdom Patents Act (Cap. 271, 1985 Ed.) before 23rd February 1995, the Registrar may issue a certificate of registration under section 5 of that Act after that date as if that Act had not been repealed.
(2) Where a patent has been granted under the United Kingdom Patents Act 1977 not earlier than 36 months before, or not later than 12 months after, 23rd February 1995, the proprietor of the patent may, within a period of 24 months from that date, make an application for a certificate of registration and the Registrar may issue a certificate on such application as if the Registration of United Kingdom Patents Act had not been repealed.
(3) Any certificate of registration issued under section 5 of the repealed Registration of United Kingdom Patents Act and is in force immediately before 23rd February 1995, or issued after that date by virtue of subsection (1) or (2) shall continue in force and the patent to which the certificate relates shall be treated for the purposes of this Act as if it were a patent under this Act granted in pursuance of an application made under this Act and the proprietor of the patent shall accordingly have the same rights, remedies, privileges and obligations and subject to the same conditions (including the payment of any fee prescribed under section 36), as the proprietor of a patent under this Act subject to the following modifications:
the term of the patent shall date from the date of the patent in the United Kingdom and the patent shall subject to this Act remain in force for 20 years from that date and only so long as the patent has not been revoked in the United Kingdom before 17th October 2001;
such other modifications as may be prescribed.
(4) A patent to which subsection (3) applies shall be treated for the purposes of sections 14(3) and 17(2) as being granted on an application with a date of filing under this Act and published under this Act.
(5) The date of filing an application for a patent as mentioned in subsection (4), and the priority date of an invention or other matter contained in that application, shall be determined in accordance with the provisions of the United Kingdom Patents Act 1949 or 1977, as the case may be.
(6) Where an act is commenced before 23rd February 1995 and continues to be done on or after that date, then, if it would not, under the law in force immediately before that date, amount to an infringement of a patent or the privileges or rights arising under a specification, its continuance on or after that date shall not amount to the infringement of that patent or those privileges or rights.