—(1) A company having a share capital may cause to be kept in any place outside Singapore a branch register of members which shall be deemed to be part of the company’s register of members.
(2) The company shall lodge with the Registrar notice of the situation of the office where any branch register is kept and of any change in its situation, and if it is discontinued of its discontinuance, and any such notice shall be lodged within one month after the opening of the office or of the change or discontinuance, as the case may be.
(3) A branch register shall be kept in the same manner in which the principal register is by this Act required to be kept.
(4) The company shall transmit to the office at which its principal register is kept a copy of every entry in its branch register as soon as possible after the entry is made, and shall cause to be kept at that office duly entered up from time to time a duplicate of its branch register, which shall for all purposes of this Act be deemed to be part of the principal register.
(5) Subject to this section with respect to the duplicate register, the shares registered in a branch register shall be distinguished from the shares registered in the principal register, and no transaction with respect to any shares registered in a branch register shall during the continuance of that registration be registered in any other register.
(6) A company may discontinue a branch register and thereupon all entries in that register shall be transferred to some other branch register kept by the company in the same place or to the principal register.
(7) This section shall apply to all companies incorporated in Singapore.
(8) If by virtue of the law in force in any other country any corporation incorporated under that law keeps in Singapore a branch register of its members, the Minister may by order declare that the provisions of this Act relating to inspection, place of keeping and rectification of registers of members shall, subject to any modifications specified in the order, apply to and in relation to any such branch register kept in Singapore as they apply to and in relation to the registers of companies under this Act and thereupon those provisions shall apply accordingly.
(9) If default is made in complying with this section, the company and every officer of the company who is in default and every person who, pursuant to section 191, has arranged to make up the principal register, and who is in default shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000 and also to a default penalty.
[UK, 1948, ss. 119-123; Aust., 1961, s. 157]