—(1) A registered patent agent who wishes to obtain a practising certificate for any practice year shall, before making an application for the certificate, ensure that professional indemnity insurance has been obtained against any liability incurred by him when carrying out patent agency work in that practice year, where the amount of insurance cover is at least $1 million for each claim.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a registered patent agent —
his employer does not carry on a business, practise or act as a patent agent; and
he intends to carry out patent agency work for his employer, and for no other person, in his capacity as employee of his employer, and in no other capacity, during the practice year; or
his employer is a member of a related company group;
his employer does not carry on a business, practise or act as a patent agent;
any other member of the related company group does not carry on a business, practise or act as a patent agent; and
he intends to carry out patent agency work for his employer or for that other member of the related company group, and for no other person, in his capacity as employee of his employer, and in no other capacity, during the practice year.
(3) An application for a practising certificate shall not be made earlier than 2 months before the commencement of the practice year in question.
(4) The application shall be made to the Registrar in Form C, and shall be accompanied by —
the applicable fee in the First Schedule which shall be the same amount irrespective of the term of the practising certificate;
a declaration in writing stating —
the applicant’s name in full;
the name under which he intends to practise or the name of his employer;
his practice address in Singapore;
that he is resident in Singapore;
that he continues to meet the requirements of these Rules by virtue of which he was registered; and
either of the following:
in a case where paragraph (1) applies, a written undertaking by the applicant that —
he will ensure that the professional indemnity insurance that has been obtained will be maintained in force at all times during the practice year in question; and
where the insurance that has been obtained is due to expire before the end of the practice year, he will ensure that the insurance is renewed before such expiry;
in a case where paragraph (2) applies, a written undertaking by the applicant that he will, if he is to carry out patent agency work at any time during that practice year other than in his capacity as employee of his employer for —
where paragraph (2)(a) applies, his employer; or
where paragraph (2)(b) applies, his employer or the other member of the related company group referred to in that paragraph,
ensure that the professional indemnity insurance referred to in paragraph (1) has been obtained, before he does so.
(5) The Registrar may require the registered patent agent to furnish, within a specified period, such other evidence or information as he considers necessary for the purposes of the application.
(6) The Registrar shall, if satisfied that the application is made in accordance with this rule, issue the practising certificate.
(7) The issue of a practising certificate may be subject to such conditions as the Registrar may specify.
(8) In this rule, “related company group” means a group of 2 or more corporations within the meaning of the Companies Act (Cap. 50) which are related to each other in accordance with section 6 of that Act.