—(1) No broadcasting company shall, on or after 2nd September 20021, appoint a person as its chief executive officer or director, or as the chairman of its board of directors, unless it has obtained the approval of the Authority.
1 Date of commencement of the Singapore Broadcasting Authority (Amendment) Act 2002 (Act 19 of 2002).
(2) Unless the Authority otherwise approves, the chief executive officer of a broadcasting company and at least one-half of its directors shall be citizens of Singapore.
(3) No chief executive officer, director, or chairman of the board of directors, of a broadcasting company who was appointed before 2nd September 2002 shall be permitted by the broadcasting company to act as such on or after that date unless —
his appointment as chief executive officer, director, or chairman of the board of directors, of the broadcasting company was approved by the Authority before 2nd September 2002; or
his appointment as chief executive officer, director, or chairman of the board of directors, of the broadcasting company is approved by the Authority on a written application by the broadcasting company made within 6 months after 2nd September 2002 or such longer period as the Authority may allow.
(4) Where the Authority does not approve the appointment of a person as chief executive officer, director or chairman of the board of directors under subsection (3)(b), the broadcasting company shall immediately remove the person from such office.
(5) Any broadcasting company which contravenes this section shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $50,000 and, in the case of a continuing offence, to a further fine not exceeding $5,000 for every day or part thereof during which the offence continues after conviction.
(6) This section shall have effect notwithstanding the provisions of any other written law or of the memorandum or articles of association, or other constitution, of a broadcasting company.
(7) In this section —
“chief executive officer”, in relation to a broadcasting company, means any person, by whatever name described, who is —
in the direct employment of, or acting for or by arrangement with, the broadcasting company; and
principally responsible for the management and conduct of any type of business of the broadcasting company in Singapore,
and includes any person for the time being performing all or any of the functions or duties of a chief executive officer;
“director” has the same meaning as in section 4(1) of the Companies Act (Cap. 50).