—(1) After the registration of a design and upon the filing of a written request by any person in the prescribed manner and the payment of the prescribed fee, the Registrar shall —
give the person making the request such information; and
permit him to inspect such documents,
relating to the application for registration of the design (including any representation or sample of the design) as may be specified in the request, subject, however, to such conditions as may be prescribed.
(2) Rules may be made empowering the Registrar to refuse any request in respect of such information or documents as may be prescribed.
(3) Until notice of registration of a design is published under section 18, any information or documents constituting or relating to the application for registration shall not, without the consent of the owner or the applicant, as the case may be, be published or communicated to any person by the Registrar.
(4) Subsection (3) shall not prevent the Registrar from publishing or communicating to others any prescribed information relating to an application for registration of a design.
(5) Where a person is notified that an application for registration of a design has been made and that the applicant will, if the design is registered, bring proceedings against that person in the event of his doing an act specified in the notification, that person may make a request under subsection (1).
(6) The Registrar may grant the request under subsection (1) without the consent of the applicant, notwithstanding that the design has not been registered.
[HK Designs, s. 70]