—(1) It shall be the duty of the owner and the occupier of any national monument to take all reasonable measures to ensure that the national monument is properly maintained at all times in accordance with such guidelines as may be issued by the Board.
(2) The Board may by notice in writing (referred to hereinafter as a preservation notice) require the owner or occupier of a national monument to carry out, at his own expense and within the time specified in the notice, such works for the preservation, maintenance or repair of the national monument as may be specified in the notice.
(3) The owner or occupier of a national monument may, within 14 days of service on him of a preservation notice or within such longer period as the Minister may allow, appeal to the Minister against the requirements of the preservation notice and the Minister may —
dismiss the appeal;
allow the appeal unconditionally; or
allow the appeal in whole or in part and subject to such conditions as he considers fit,
and may give such directions as he thinks necessary to give effect to his decision on the appeal.
(4) The decision of the Minister under subsection (3) shall be final.
(5) Subject to subsection (6), a preservation notice shall take effect from the date specified therein notwithstanding that any appeal under subsection (3) is pending.
(6) If the Minister is satisfied that the execution of the preservation notice may be delayed without resulting in any danger or damage to the national monument, the Minister may, subject to such conditions as he thinks fit to impose on the appellant, direct that the preservation notice shall not take effect until the determination or abandonment of the appeal.
(7) Subject to any direction of the Minister under subsection (6), any person who fails to comply with the requirements of a preservation notice shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $20,000 and, in the case of a continuing offence, to a further fine not exceeding $200 for every day or part thereof during which the offence continues after conviction.