—(1) Subject to this section, if the Minister is satisfied that traffic on any road in Singapore should, by reason of works of repair or reconstruction being required or being in progress on or under the road, be restricted or prohibited, he may restrict or prohibit the use of that road or any part thereof by vehicles or by vehicles of any particular class or description to such extent and subject to such conditions or exceptions as he may consider necessary.
(2) Subject to this section, the Minister shall, not less than 7 days before prohibiting the use of a road or part thereof under this section, cause notice thereof to be published in one or more newspapers circulating in Singapore.
(3) Every such notice shall contain a statement of the effect of the prohibition and a description of the alternative route or routes, if any, available for traffic.
(4) So long as any restriction or prohibition made under this section is in force, a notice stating the effect thereof and describing any alternative route or routes available for traffic shall be kept posted in a conspicuous manner at each end of the part of the road to which the restriction or prohibition relates and at the points at which it will be necessary for vehicles to diverge from the road.
(5) Any person, authorised by name or office in writing in that behalf by the Minister, may at any time by notice restrict or prohibit temporarily the use of any road or part thereof by vehicles or by vehicles of any particular class or description where, owing to the likelihood of danger to the public or of serious damage to the highway, it appears to him necessary that such restriction or prohibition should come into force without delay.
(6) Any such notice shall describe the alternative route or routes, if any, available for traffic and shall be kept posted in accordance with subsection (3) and shall not continue in force for a period longer than 7 days from the date thereof.
(7) Where such a notice has been posted, the Minister may, before the expiration of the period referred to in subsection (6), proceed to make a restriction or prohibition under subsection (1) with respect to the same road or part thereof.
(8) Any person who uses or causes or permits the use of a vehicle in contravention of any restriction or prohibition imposed under this section shall be guilty of an offence.