Civil List and Pension Act
(Original Enactment: Act 10 of 1970)
REVISED EDITION 2002
(31st December 2002)
An Act to provide a civil list and pension for the President of the Republic of Singapore.
[1st July 1970]
—(1) There shall be paid for the civil list of the President so long as he holds office the yearly sums specified in the Schedule.
(2) Payments in respect of the amounts for the privy purse and entertainment allowance specified in Class I of the Schedule shall be made to the President.
(3) Payments of the acting President’s allowance specified in Class I of the Schedule shall be made to the person exercising the functions of the office of President pursuant to Article 22N or 22O of the Constitution.
(4) Payments in respect of the amounts specified in Classes II, III and IV of the Schedule shall be made by or on the instructions of the Private Secretary to the President in accordance with any written law governing the disbursement of public funds.
(5) No payment in respect of the amounts specified in Class I of the Schedule shall be made in respect of any period during which the office of the President is vacant.
3. The sums required for payments under section 2 shall be charged on and paid out of the Consolidated Fund.
4. The yearly sums payable under Class I of the Schedule shall —
accrue from day to day; and
be payable monthly on the last day of each month or on such other day as the Minister may from time to time determine.
—(1) In the application of the sums paid in respect of any year under section 2, the amounts specified in the Schedule shall be appropriated to the classes of expenditure specified therein respectively in that year.
(2) If it appears that the sum appropriated to any class of expenditure in any year will not be wholly required for the expenditure of that class in that year, the amount not so required may, with the approval of the Minister, be applied as an addition to the sum available for any other class.
(3) The sums to be expended by or on the instructions of the Private Secretary to the President in respect of Classes II, III and IV of the Schedule for any year shall be expended in that year by the Private Secretary to the President in conformity with the detailed estimates for that year submitted by him to, and approved by, the Minister.
6. In the event of there being a change of holder of the office of President, there shall be made such adjustments and distribution of the annual payment due under section 2 in respect of the amounts specified for Class I of the Schedule as the circumstances of the case may require.