On 26/09/2017, you requested the version in force on 04/11/2013 incorporating all amendments published on or before 04/11/2013. The closest version currently available is that of 02/01/2011.
30 March 1987
03 December 1993
Act 24 of 1993
30 May 1998
30 October 2008
Act 21 of 2008
25 June 2010
Act 15 of 2010
07 June 2016
Act 16 of 2016
Travel Agents Act
(Original Enactment: Act 41 of 1975)
REVISED EDITION 1998
(30th May 1998)
An Act for the licensing of travel agents and for the regulation of their operation and for purposes connected therewith.
[1st December 1976]
2. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires —
“Board” means the Singapore Tourism Board established under section 3 of the Singapore Tourism Board Act (Cap. 305B);
“licence” means a licence granted under this Act;
“licensee” means any person who holds a licence granted to him or any other person on his behalf.
—(1) Nothing in this Act shall be construed as requiring any executor, administrator, trustee, liquidator, official receiver, trustee in bankruptcy of a bankrupt estate, trustee under a composition or scheme of arrangement or under a deed of arrangement or under a deed of assignment, or deputy appointed or deemed to be appointed by the High Court for a person who lacks capacity under the Mental Capacity Act 2008 with power in relation to such person for the purposes of this Act, to hold a licence for the purpose of performing his functions, exercising his powers or carrying out his duties as such.
[21/2008 wef 01/03/2010]
(2) Notwithstanding anything in subsection (1), it shall not be lawful for any of the persons referred to in that subsection in whom is vested the management of the business of any travel agent to carry on that business at any time after the expiration of 3 months from the date on which the management of that business was so vested, unless that person holds a licence.
(3) Nothing in this Act shall be construed as relieving any person from the obligation to take out a licence under any written law for the performance of any function, the exercise of any power or the carrying out of any duty for which a licence shall have been required if this Act had not been passed or to pay the fee payable in respect of any such licence.
(4) Nothing in this Act shall be construed as requiring the Official Assignee performing his duties as the trustee in bankruptcy of the property of a bankrupt to hold a licence.
—(1) Subject to this section, a person carries on the business of a travel agent if he —
sells tickets entitling an individual to travel, or otherwise arranges for a person a right of passage on any conveyance (not being a prescribed conveyance);
sells to, or arranges or makes available for, a person rights of passage to, and hotel or other accommodation at, one or more places (being places within or outside Singapore, or some of which are within and others of which are outside Singapore);
purchases for resale the right of passage on any conveyance (not being a prescribed conveyance);
carries out such activity as may be prescribed; or
holds himself out as, or advertises that he is, willing to carry on any activity referred to in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (d).
(2) An individual does not carry on the business of a travel agent by reason only of carrying on in the course of his employment any activity referred to in subsection (1).
(3) A person does not carry on the business of a travel agent in respect of any activity referred to in —
subsection (1)(a) if he carries on the activity in respect of a conveyance of which he is the owner; or
subsection (1)(b) if he carries on the activity in respect of a conveyance and place of accommodation of which he is the owner.
(4) A person does not carry on the business of a travel agent by reason only of holding himself out as, or advertising that he is, willing to carry on any activity to which subsection (3)(a) or (b) applies.