No. S 263
Town Councils Act
(Declaration of Towns)
(Declaration of Towns)
In exercise of the powers conferred by section section 3 of the Town Councils Act, the Minister for National Development hereby makes the following Order:
1. This Order may be cited as the Town Councils (Declaration of Towns) Order 2011 and shall come into operation on 27th May 2011.
2. In this Order, unless the context otherwise requires —
“by-law” means any by-law made by a Town Council relating to conservancy and service charges or to penalties and administrative fees for the late payment of conservancy and service charges;
“constituency” means an electoral division specified in the Parliamentary Elections (Names and Polling Districts of Electoral Divisions) Notification 2011 (G.N. No. S 85/2011);
“existing by-law” means any by-law in force on 26th May 2011;
“former Town” means any Town declared under the Town Councils (Declaration of Towns) Order 2006 (G.N. No. S 276/2006).
3. The area comprising the constituency or constituencies set out in the first column of the First Schedule are declared to be a Town to be known by the name set out opposite thereto in the second column of that Schedule.
—(1) Where any area in a former Town becomes, by virtue of this Order, part of another Town and the Town Council for the former Town is not dissolved but is renamed in the Second Schedule, the change in corporate name of the Town Council shall not operate —
to create a new legal entity;
to prejudice or affect the identity of the Town Council or its continuity as a Town Council;
to affect the property of, or the exercise of any right or the enforcement of any obligation by or against, the Town Council; or
to render defective any legal proceedings by or against the Town Council,
and any legal proceedings that might have been continued or commenced by or against the Town Council in its former corporate name may be continued or commenced by or against the Town Council in its new corporate name.
(2) Where any area in a former Town becomes, by virtue of this Order, part of another Town (referred to as the succeeding Town) and the Town Council for the former Town is not dissolved, all existing by-laws which were made by the Town Council of the former Town shall continue to apply, with the necessary modifications, to that area as if this Order had not been made until —
such time as by-laws are made by the Town Council of the succeeding Town for that area (whether or not including other areas in the succeeding Town); or
31st December 2011,
whichever first occurs.
5. The incidental, consequential and supplementary provisions contained in the Second Schedule shall have effect in respect of the Town Councils of former Towns specified therein.
6. The Town Councils (Declaration of Towns) Order 2006 (G.N. No. S 276/2006) is revoked.
[ND 311/4-146 Pt 85 Vol. 17; AG/LLRD/SL/329A/2011/1 Vol. 1]