Police Force Act
(Original Enactment: Ordinance 32 of 1958)
REVISED EDITION 1985
(30th March 1987)
An Act relating to the Singapore Police Force and to provide for the establishment, organisation, discipline, powers and duties of the police force and for matters incidental thereto.
[29th May 1959]
2. In this Act unless the context otherwise requires —
“arm” includes firearm;
“Auxiliary Police Force” means any force created under the provisions of Part IX;
“auxiliary police officer” means a person appointed as such under the provisions of Part IX;
“commanding officer” or “officer commanding” means the Deputy Commissioner of Police, a senior assistant commissioner of police, an assistant commissioner of police, the commandant of the Police Training School, and any police officer lawfully acting in any of these appointments;
“Commissioner” means the Commissioner of Police;
“constable” means a police officer below the rank of lance corporal;
“Deputy Commissioner” means the Deputy Commissioner of Police;
“gazetted officer” means a police officer of any rank from and including the Commissioner down to and including a probationary assistant superintendent;
“inspector” means an inspector of police of whatever grade from and including a chief inspector down to and including a cadet inspector;
“Police Force” means the Singapore Police Force, established by this Act and called the Polis Repablik Singapura;
“police officer” means any member of the Police Force and includes a temporary constable;
“Police Regulations” means regulations made under section 54;
“national serviceman” means a person who has been directed to present himself for enlistment in the Police Force under the provisions of any written law for the time being in force relating to national service or enlistment;
“special police officer” means a member of the Special Constabulary constituted under Part VIII;
“subordinate officer” means a police officer of any rank from and including a sub-inspector down to and including a constable.
3. The Commissioner shall be responsible to the Minister for the supreme command, direction and administration of the Police Force, and of any persons appointed or engaged for police duties under the provisions of this Act.
—(1) Any act or thing which may be done, ordered or performed by the Commissioner under this or any other written law may, subject to the orders and directions of the Commissioner, be done, ordered or performed by the Deputy Commissioner, a senior assistant commissioner of police, or an assistant commissioner of police.
(2) In the absence or incapacity of the Deputy Commissioner, the Commissioner may authorise any gazetted officer to exercise the powers conferred and perform the duties imposed by any written law on the Deputy Commissioner.
5. All powers granted to and duties imposed by any written law on any police officer shall be exercised or performed in accordance with Police Regulations, Police General Orders, Force Orders and Standing Orders made under this Act.
6. All police officers shall be bound to serve in any part of Singapore or in the service of the Government of Singapore on board any vessel or aircraft, or to proceed to and serve in Malaysia as provided in Part IV, or to proceed to any place outside Singapore as required for the purposes of section 38(p).