On 24/01/2017, you requested the version as published on or before 24/01/2017.
30 March 1987
12 September 1997
Act 7 of 1997
Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood Ordinance
(Original Enactment: Ordinance 21 of 1954)
REVISED EDITION 1985
(30th March 1987)
An Ordinance to incorporate the Reverend Mother Superior of the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood in Malaya.1
1 Note: This private Ordinance is reproduced in the form it appears in the 1955 Revised Edition.
Whereas the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood were constituted at Guildford in the County of Surrey in England on the 26th day of November 1935:
And Whereas the said Franciscan Missionaries have established a nursing mission in the Colony of Singapore for the purpose of carrying on and maintaining hospitals and for the treatment and nursing of the sick and infirm and for the training of women in nursing and the treatment of the sick and infirm and for the purpose of the propagation of Christianity:
And Whereas the said Mission has for some time and is now conducting its work at the Tan Tock Seng Hospital and Trafalgar Home in Singapore and intends to build and conduct a hospital to be known as the Mount Alvernia Hospital in Singapore and to extend its work both in the said Colony and in the Federation of Malaya:
And Whereas the said Franciscan Missionaries have invested and will invest money in the purchase of property both movable and immovable within the said Colony and the Federation of Malaya:
And Whereas the said Mission and any hospital church convent or other building now or hereinafter to be acquired for the purposes of the said Mission will be managed by the Reverend Mother Superior of the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood in Malaya the present Reverend Mother Superior being the Reverend Mother Mary Angela:
And Whereas for the better carrying on of the work of the said Mission it is expedient that the said Reverend Mother Mary Angela and her successors, being the Reverend Mother Superior of the said Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood in Malaya, should be incorporated:
It is hereby enacted by the Governor of the Colony of Singapore with the advice and consent of the Legislative Council thereof as follows:
[28th October 1954]
1. This Ordinance may be cited as the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood Ordinance.
—(1) The said Reverend Mother Mary Angela and her successors for the time being in office of the Reverend Mother Superior of the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood in Malaya, duly authorised and appointed as hereinafter provided, shall be a body corporate, hereinafter in this Ordinance called the “Corporation” and shall hereafter for the purposes of this Ordinance have the name of the Reverend Mother Superior of the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood in Malaya, and by that name have perpetual succession and shall and may have and use a corporate seal.
(2) The said seal may from time to time be broken, changed, altered and made anew as the Corporation thinks fit.
(3) The Corporation may acquire, purchase, take, hold and enjoy movable and immovable property of every description, and may sell, convey, assign, surrender and yield up, mortgage, demise, reassign, transfer or otherwise dispose of any movable and immovable property vested in the Corporation upon such terms as the Corporation shall think fit.
—(1) All deeds, documents and other instruments requiring the seal of the Corporation shall be sealed with the seal of the Corporation in the presence of the Reverend Mother Superior for the time being or her attorney, duly authorised by power of attorney registered under section 48 of the Conveyancing and Law of Property Ordinance and shall also be signed by the said Reverend Mother Superior for the time being, or her attorney so authorised as aforesaid.
(2) Such signing shall be taken as sufficient evidence that the seal was duly and properly affixed and that the same is the lawful seal of the Corporation.
4. A notification in the Gazette of the appointment of any person to exercise the office of Reverend Mother Superior of the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood in Malaya shall be conclusive evidence that such person was duly authorised to exercise the said office.