No. S 570
Secondhand Goods Dealers Act
Secondhand Goods Dealers
(Amendment) Rules 2013
(Amendment) Rules 2013
In exercise of the powers conferred by section 22 of the Secondhand Goods Dealers Act, the Minister for Home Affairs hereby makes the following Rules:
1. These Rules may be cited as the Secondhand Goods Dealers (Amendment) Rules 2013 and shall come into operation on 1st November 2013.
2. Rule 10 of the Secondhand Goods Dealers Rules (R 1) is deleted and the following rule substituted therefor:
—(1) Every secondhand goods dealer shall, upon first acquiring for any purpose any secondhand goods specified in paragraph (2), screen the secondhand goods by submitting such particulars of the secondhand goods as the Licensing Officer may require through —
the Internet website of the Secondhand Goods Transaction Records System (SHOTS) at http://www.spf.gov.sg/SHOTS/; or
such other means as the Licensing Officer may determine.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the specified secondhand goods are —
from 1st November 2013, any secondhand goods falling within the description of item 3 of the Schedule to the Act; and
from 1st January 2014, any secondhand goods falling within the description of items 1, 2 and 4 of the Schedule to the Act.
(3) A secondhand goods dealer shall not sell any secondhand goods or provide any service in relation to any secondhand goods before screening the secondhand goods through the Internet website or other means referred to in paragraph (1).
(4) A secondhand goods dealer shall detain any secondhand goods and make a report to the police without undue delay if he discovers, whether as a result of a screening under paragraph (1) or otherwise, that any of the secondhand goods in his possession are stolen, lost or reported to be stolen or lost.
(5) A secondhand goods dealer who contravenes paragraph (1), (3) or (4) shall be guilty of an offence.
(6) In any proceedings for an offence under paragraph (5) for contravening paragraph (1), it shall be a defence for the person charged to prove, on a balance of probabilities, that —
he made an attempt to screen the secondhand goods in accordance with paragraph (1); and
the Internet website or other means referred to in paragraph (1) was inaccessible to the public during the attempt.”.
[MHA 112/2/056; AG/LLRD/SL/288A/2010/1 Vol. 1]