REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE
Published by Authority
|NO. 15]||Friday, April 30||[2004|
The following Act was passed by Parliament on 20th April 2004 and assented to by the President on 24th April 2004:—
Singapore Totalisator Board (Amendment) Act 2004
(No. 13 of 2004)
S R NATHAN,
24th April 2004.
Date of Commencement: 1st May 2004
An Act to amend the Singapore Totalisator Board Act (Chapter 305A of the 1999 Revised Edition) and to make related amendments to the Betting Act (Chapter 21 of the 1985 Revised Edition).
Be it enacted by the President with the advice and consent of the Parliament of Singapore, as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Singapore Totalisator Board (Amendment) Act 2004 and shall come into operation on such date as the Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, appoint.
2. Section 2 of the Singapore Totalisator Board Act (referred to in this Act as the principal Act) is amended —
by inserting, immediately after the definition of “Board”, the following definition:
“ “gaming” means the playing of any game of chance or of mixed chance and skill for money or money’s worth;”; and
by inserting, immediately after the definition of “horse race”, the following definition:
“ “lottery” includes any game, method, device, scheme or competition whereby money or money’s worth is distributed or allotted in any manner depending upon or to be determined by chance or lot;”.
3. Section 4 (1) of the principal Act is amended by deleting paragraph (c) and substituting the following paragraph:
to operate and conduct (by means of a totalisator or otherwise) such lottery or other betting or gaming activities as may be prescribed, in accordance with any scheme which the Minister may, subject to such conditions as he may impose, authorise;”.
4. Section 5 (1) of the principal Act is amended by deleting paragraphs (a) and (b) and substituting the following paragraphs:
to provide assistance and advice relating to racing, betting and gaming in Singapore or elsewhere; and
to subscribe for or acquire any securities, stocks or shares of any company or to form or participate in the formation of any company, partnership or joint venture for the purpose of carrying out any function of the Board or for such other purposes as the Minister may approve.”.
5. Section 6 (1) of the principal Act is amended by deleting the words “6 other members” in paragraph (b) and substituting the words “11 other members”.
6. The Betting Act (Cap. 21) is amended —
by inserting, immediately after the word “employees” in the definition of “bookmaker” in section 2(1), the words “or any other person or organisation”; and
by deleting subsection (1) of section 22 and substituting the following subsection:
“(1) The Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, either generally or in any particular case and subject to such conditions as he may impose, exempt from all or any of the provisions of this Act —
the members and officers of any racing club or association in respect of any totalisator or pari-mutuel betting or any other system or method of cash or credit betting held, promoted, organised, administered or operated by the racing club or association where the betting takes place under the control or supervision of one or more officers of that racing club or association; or
any other person or organisation in respect of any system or method of cash or credit betting held, promoted, organised, administered or operated by the person or organisation where the betting takes place under the control or supervision of that person or organisation.”.