No. S 773
Road Traffic Act
Road Traffic (Bicycles) (Amendment) Rules 2004
2. Rule 2 of the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules (R 3) (referred to in these Rules as the principal Rules) is amended —
by inserting, immediately before the definition of “hours of darkness”, the following definition:
“ “bicycle” means a pedal bicycle, a pedal tricycle, a trishaw or a power-assisted bicycle;”; and
by deleting the definition of “bicycle” and substituting the following definition:
“ “power-assisted bicycle” means a bicycle that is equipped with an electric motor and that may be propelled by muscular power or by the electric motor with which it is equipped, or by both.”.
3. Rule 4 of the principal Rules is deleted and the following rule substituted therefor:
—(1) No bicycle shall be used to carry at one time more persons than the number for which it is designed.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (3), but subject to paragraph (4), no person shall be carried as a pillion passenger on a bicycle unless the bicycle is designed such as to be provided with a seat for a pillion passenger.
(3) A child below the age of 12 years may be carried on a properly constructed seat or carrier affixed to a pedal bicycle.
(4) No person below the age of 16 years shall be carried as a pillion passenger on a power-assisted bicycle.”.
4. Rule 7 of the principal Rules is amended —
by deleting the words “pedal tricycle or trishaw” in paragraph (1) and substituting the word “bicycle”; and
by deleting the word “pedal” wherever it appears in paragraph (2).
5. Rule 11 (1) of the principal Rules is amended by inserting, immediately after the words “pedal bicycle”, the words “or power-assisted bicycle”.
6. The principal Rules are amended by inserting, immediately after rule 12, the following rule:
—(1) No person shall use a power-assisted bicycle on a road unless the power-assisted bicycle —
complies with the requirements specified in the Schedule to the Road Traffic (Power-Assisted Bicycles — Approval) Rules 2004 (G.N. No. S 768/2004); and
has been approved and sealed in accordance with those Rules.
(2) No person below the age of 16 years shall ride a power-assisted bicycle on a road.
(3) Every person who rides a power-assisted bicycle on a road or who is carried as a pillion passenger on a power-assisted bicycle on a road shall wear securely on his head a suitable protective bicycle helmet.”.
[TP 5.11.39; AG/LEG/SL/276/2002/5 Vol. 1]