REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE
Published by Authority
|NO. 43]||Friday, December 24||[1999|
The following Act was passed by Parliament on 23rd November 1999 and assented to by the President on 30th November 1999:—
Police Force (Amendment) Act 1999
(No. 39 of 1999)
S R NATHAN,
30th November 1999.
Date of Commencement: 10th January 2000
An Act to amend the Police Force Act (Chapter 235 of the 1985 Revised Edition) and to make a related amendment to the Companies Act (Chapter 50 of the 1994 Revised Edition).
Be it enacted by the President with the advice and consent of the Parliament of Singapore, as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Police Force (Amendment) Act 1999 and shall come into operation on such date as the Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, appoint.
2. The Police Force Act is amended by inserting, immediately after section 58, the following section:
—(1) The Minister may appoint such number of persons to be Commercial Affairs Officers as he may think fit.
(2) A Commercial Affairs Officer may investigate any suspected offence which appears to him to have been committed under any written law.
(3) For the purposes of subsection (2) —
a Commercial Affairs Officer shall have all the powers of investigation conferred on police officers in relation to the investigation of offences under the Criminal Procedure Code (Cap. 68) or under such other written law as the Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, prescribe and shall be deemed to be an officer not below the rank of inspector of police; and
section 37 shall apply to a Commercial Affairs Officer as if he were a police officer.
(4) The Commissioner may, in his discretion, confer the powers of an Assistant Superintendent of Police under such written law as the Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, prescribe, on one or more Commercial Affairs Officers as he may determine.
(5) Apart from this section and section 37, this Act shall not apply to a Commercial Affairs Officer.”.
3. Section 409B of the Companies Act (Cap. 50) is repealed.
4. Any person who immediately before the date of commencement of this Act held the appointment of a Commercial Affairs Officer referred to in section 409B of the Companies Act (Cap. 50) shall continue in office and be deemed to have been appointed under section 58A of the Police Force Act (Cap. 235) until his appointment expires or is sooner revoked or terminated.