—(1) Every person shall, before commencing any work for the erection of any new building, submit an application in writing for the determination of the amount to be deposited, if any, for the execution of street works as required under section 16 or 18.
(2) The Authority shall —
on an application being made under subsection (1); or
where no such application has been made, after serving a notice on the person who is to be required to make the deposit, by order in writing determine —
the amount, if any, that is required to be deposited for the execution of street works; and
if a deposit is required, the date on or before which the street works shall be completed.
(3) The Minister may by order in writing exempt a particular building or class of buildings from subsection (1).
(4) Where no deposit is required, the Authority shall issue a certificate to the person who made the application under subsection (1) stating that no deposit is required to be made for the execution of street works before the commencement of building operations.
(5) The Authority shall, in making an order under subsection (3), have regard to the amount that could be recovered by the Authority if it had executed the street works under the provisions of this Act.
(6) The Authority shall serve a copy of the order on the person who is required to deposit the amount determined for the execution of street works, which amount —
shall be deposited with the Authority at such time as the Authority may by notice in writing specify; and
shall not be refunded, except in accordance with section 22.
(7) Any person who fails to deposit the amount determined for the execution of street works within the time specified by the Authority shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $10,000 and, in the case of a continuing offence, to a further fine of $100 for every day during which the offence continues after conviction.
(8) The Authority may by order in writing vary the amount determined under subsection (2) for the execution of street works and serve a copy of the order on the person who is required to deposit the amount determined for the execution of street works.
(10) Any person who is dissatisfied with the order may, within 10 days of the service on him of the order, appeal to the Minister whose decision shall be final.