—(1) On or before the day of nomination at an election, a person shall be named in writing by or on behalf of each candidate as his agent for that election and the person is referred to in this Act as the election agent.
(2) A candidate may name himself as election agent, and thereupon shall, so far as circumstances admit, be subject to the provisions of this Act, both as a candidate and as an election agent, and any reference in this Act to an election agent shall be construed to refer to the candidate acting in his capacity of election agent.
(3) On or before the day of nomination, the name and address of the election agent of each candidate shall be declared in writing by the candidate or some other person on his behalf to the Returning Officer.
(3A) The Returning Officer shall then immediately, by affixing a notice in a conspicuous place outside his office, give public notification of the name and address of every election agent so declared.
(4) One election agent only shall be appointed for each candidate, but the appointment, whether the election agent appointed be the candidate himself or not, may be revoked.
(4A) In the event of such revocation or of the death of an election agent, whether the event is before, during or after the election, another election agent shall immediately be appointed, and his name and address declared in writing to the Returning Officer, who shall immediately give public notice of the name and address in the manner specified in subsection (3A).
(5) A principal election agent for a group of candidates shall be appointed by the candidates from amongst their election agents and the provisions of this section relating to the appointment and revocation of appointment of an election agent and public notification thereof shall apply, with the necessary modifications, in respect of a principal election agent.
(6) The election agent of a candidate (referred to as candidate A) belonging to a group of candidates may act by the election agent of any other candidate belonging to the same group (referred to as a sub-agent) whom the first-mentioned election agent authorises in writing in respect of such expenses incurred on account of or in respect of the conduct or management of the election for the candidates as is named in the authority, and —
anything done by or to the sub-agent shall be deemed to be done by the election agent and sub-agent jointly; and
the candidate A shall suffer the like incapacity as if any act or default of the sub-agent had been his election agent’s act or default.
(7) For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in subsection (6) prevents an election agent of a candidate belonging to a group from authorising in writing more than one sub-agent from among the respective election agents of the other candidates belonging to the same group.
(8) The authorisation of a sub-agent under subsection (6) —
shall not be vacated by the election agent who authorised him ceasing to be an election agent; and
may be revoked by whoever is for the time being the election agent.
(9) The references in sections 64, 65(1) and (1A), 66, 68 and 69 to an election agent of a candidate (referred to as candidate A) shall, in relation to an election in a group representation constituency, be taken as references to the election agent —
acting by himself; or
acting by the election agent of any other candidate belonging to the same group as candidate A whom the first-mentioned election agent has authorised in writing under subsection (6) to act as his sub-agent in respect of such expenses incurred on account of or in respect of the conduct or management of the election for the candidates as are named in that authority.