—(1) The Authority may cause or permit traffic signs to be drawn, placed or erected and maintained on or near any road, and any signs so drawn, placed or erected shall be subject to and be in conformity with such general or special directions as the Minister may give.
(2) Traffic signs shall be of the prescribed size, colour and type except where the Authority, with the approval of the Minister, authorises the placing or retention of a sign of another character.
(3) No traffic signs shall be drawn or placed on or near any road except under and in accordance with subsections (1) and (2).
(4) The Authority shall, by notice in writing, require the owner or occupier of any land on which there is any traffic sign or any object which so closely resembles a traffic sign that it might reasonably be taken to be such a sign to remove it and if any person fails to comply with such a notice, the Authority may cause the removal to be effected with as little damage as may be and the expense incurred in doing so may be recovered as a civil debt from the person so in default.
(5) Subsection (4) shall not apply in the case of any sign or object which complies with subsection (2) and the retention of which is expressly authorised by the Authority.
(6) The Authority may authorise the entry upon any land and the exercise of such other powers as may be necessary for the purpose of the exercise and performance of its powers and duties under this section.
(7) In this Part, “traffic sign” includes all signals, warning sign posts, direction posts, signs, lines or other devices for the guidance or direction of persons using roads, but shall not include warning signs or other devices temporarily set up by any Government department to indicate that road work is in progress.
(8) Any person wilfully and unlawfully damaging, moving, defacing, altering or otherwise interfering with, any traffic sign shall be guilty of an offence, and any police officer or the Registrar or any officer authorised in writing in that behalf by the Registrar on production of his authority may without warrant arrest any person found committing such offence.
(9) The Authority, with the approval of the Minister, may make rules to prescribe the size, colour and type of traffic signs to be drawn or placed on or near roads.