Issue of subsidiary strata certificates of title for flats with subsisting leases registered under Registration of Deeds Act where land is vested in flat-owners as tenants-in-common
—(1) Where there are subsisting leases of flats registered under the provisions of the Registration of Deeds Act (Cap. 269) and the registered estate or interest in the land on which the flats are erected is vested, subject to the provisions of the Land Titles Act (Cap. 157), in the lessees of the flats as tenants-in-common in the shares shown in the land-register, the registered lessees of those flats who altogether own not less than 25% of the total number of those flats may lodge with the Registrar a strata title application in the approved form.
(2) A strata title application submitted under subsection (1) shall not be registered unless the strata title plan has been lodged with and approved by the Chief Surveyor under the Boundaries and Survey Maps Act (Cap. 25).
(3) The Registrar may, upon acceptance of the application, dispense with the production of the leases of the flats.
(4) Before issuing subsidiary strata certificates of title in favour of the registered lessees of the flats as shown in the records of the Registry of Deeds or the Land Titles Registry, the Registrar shall —
require a notice in the form approved by him to be inserted once in one or more daily newspapers to the effect that the Registrar will issue the subsidiary strata certificates of title under this section to the registered lessees of the flats as shown in the records maintained at the Registry of Deeds or the Land Titles Registry after the expiration of 6 weeks from the date of publication of the notice if no valid objection is received by the Land Titles Registry; and
send by registered post a copy of the notice referred to in paragraph (a) to the registered lessees of all the flats at the addresses shown in the records of the Registry of Deeds or the Land Titles Registry.
(5) Where the Registrar is satisfied that all the necessary documents are in order, the Registrar may issue subsidiary strata certificates of title for the flats after the publication of the notice referred to in subsection (4).
(6) Any subsidiary strata certificate of title issued by the Registrar under subsection (5) may be qualified as to its title or its boundaries and dimensions, and sections 25 and 165 of the Land Titles Act (Cap. 157) shall apply, with the necessary modifications, to such subsidiary strata certificate of title.
(7) Upon the registration of the strata title application, the management corporation of the parcel of land shall reimburse the person or persons who incurred any expenditure for the purpose of —
applying for the issue of subsidiary strata certificates of title for all those flats comprised in a building or buildings erected on the parcel;
the preparation of the strata title plan for the parcel;
the publication of the notices referred to in subsection (4)(a); and
issuing notices to the registered lessees of the flats under subsection (4)(b).
(8) It shall be the duty of the management corporation to determine the amount of contributions payable by the subsidiary proprietors of the lots in the subdivided building concerned to its management fund to meet the expenditure referred to in subsection (7) and any contributions so levied by the management corporation shall be deemed to be contributions levied under section 39 of the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act (Cap. 30C).