—(1) In the case of a heavy locomotive or a light locomotive, 2 persons shall be employed in driving or attending the locomotive whilst being driven on any road.
(2) Where any locomotive referred to in subsection (1) is drawing a trailer or trailers on a road one or more persons in addition to the persons employed as provided under that subsection shall be employed for the purpose of attending to the trailer or trailers at the rate of one such additional person for each trailer.
(3) Subsection (2) shall not apply to a road roller.
(4) Where a motor vehicle, other than a heavy locomotive or a light locomotive, is drawing a trailer on a road, one person in addition to the driver of the vehicle shall be carried on the trailer for the purpose of attending to such trailer.
(5) If any person causes or permits a motor vehicle or trailer to be driven or drawn in contravention of this section, he shall be guilty of an offence.
(6) The Authority may by rules prescribe the number of attendants who shall be and other persons who may be carried on goods vehicles and regulate the positions on the vehicle which they may occupy and the duties of those attendants.
(7) The Authority may by rules vary the requirements of this section in respect of any class or description of motor vehicles or any class or description of trailers.
(8) In this section, “trailer” shall not include —
any vehicle used solely for carrying water for the purposes of the drawing vehicle or any agricultural vehicle not constructed to carry a load;
any road sweeping or road construction vehicles; or
any trailer or class of trailers exempted from the operation of this section by the Minister.