—(1) The duties for the time being chargeable upon any of the instruments specified in the Second Schedule may be paid and denoted by either impressed or adhesive stamps.
(2) Subject to subsection (1), duties for the time being chargeable may be paid and denoted by impressed stamps, and no instrument, the duty upon which is permitted to be denoted by an impressed stamp, shall be deemed to be duly stamped unless it has been stamped in the manner prescribed in this section.
(3) The officer in charge of any stamp office authorised by the Commissioner to issue impressed stamps shall, on presentation to him at his office of any instrument for the purpose of being stamped with an impressed stamp, affix to the instrument an impressed stamp or stamps denoting the amount of duty paid.
(4) An instrument, the duty upon which is required or permitted by law to be denoted by an adhesive stamp, is not to be deemed duly stamped with an adhesive stamp unless —
the person required by law to cancel the adhesive stamp cancels it by writing on or across the stamp his name or initials, or the name or initials of his firm, together with the true date of his so writing, or otherwise effectually cancels the stamp and renders it incapable of being used for any other instrument; or
it is otherwise proved that the stamp appearing on the instrument was affixed thereto at the proper time.
(5) Where 2 or more adhesive stamps are used to denote the stamp duty upon an instrument, each or every stamp shall be cancelled in the manner provided in subsection (4).
(6) In the case of the instruments specified in the second column of the Second Schedule, the persons mentioned in the third column of that Schedule are the persons required to cancel the adhesive stamps.
(7) Subject to section 6A, no stamps other than stamps of Singapore shall be used for payment of duty upon any instrument chargeable with duty under this Act.
5 Section 7 to be repealed when section 36 of the Stamp Duties (Amendment) Act 1999 (Act 33 of 1999) is brought into operation.
Sections 2 (a), 36 and 37 of the Stamp Duties (Amendment) Act 1999 (Act 33 of 1999) were not in operation at the time of this Revised Edition.