—(1) Where a police officer or an employee of the Authority authorised in that behalf has reasonable grounds for believing that a person has committed an offence under this Act, he may, in lieu of applying to a court for a summons, immediately serve upon that person a prescribed notice, requiring that person to attend at the court described, at the hour and on the date specified in the notice.
(2) A duplicate of the notice shall be prepared by the police officer and, if so required by a court, produced to the court.
(3) The notice may be served on the person alleged to have committed the offence in the manner provided by section 131A.
(4) On an accused person appearing before a court in pursuance of such a notice, the court shall take cognizance of the offence alleged and shall proceed as though he were produced before it in pursuance of section 153 of the Criminal Procedure Code 2010.
(5) If a person, upon whom such a notice has been served as aforesaid, fails to appear before a court in person or by counsel in accordance therewith, the court may, if satisfied that the notice was duly served, issue a warrant for the arrest of the person unless in the case of an offence which may be compounded that person has before that date been permitted to compound the offence.
(6) Upon a person arrested in pursuance of a warrant issued under subsection (5) being produced before it, a court shall —
proceed as though he were produced before it under section 153 of the Criminal Procedure Code 2010; and
at the conclusion of the proceedings, call upon him to show cause why he should not be punished for failing to attend in compliance with the notice served upon him,
and if cause is not shown may order him to pay such fine not exceeding $2,000 as the court thinks fit or may commit him to prison for a term not exceeding 2 months.
(7) A police officer not below the rank of sergeant or an employee of the Authority specially authorised by name in that behalf by the appropriate Minister by notification in the Gazette may, at any time before the date specified in the notice, cancel the notice.
[7/90; 28/95; 5/98]