—(1) It shall be lawful for the President to make regulations for the granting of pensions, gratuities and other allowances to persons who have been in the public service in Singapore or to their legal personal representatives or dependants.
(2) The regulations contained in the First Schedule shall be in force until varied or revoked by any regulation made under subsection (1).
(3) The President may, in making regulations under this section, provide for any officer or class of officers holding pensionable offices to opt for the provident fund scheme applicable to non-pensionable employees of the Government under the Central Provident Fund Act (Cap. 36) and for the terms and conditions of such option.
(4) Any pension or gratuity granted under this Act shall be computed in accordance with the provisions in force at the actual date of an officer’s retirement.
(5) Where the President is satisfied that it is equitable that any regulation made under this Act should have retrospective effect in order to confer a benefit upon, or remove a disability attaching to, any person, that regulation may be given retrospective effect to any date, whether before or after 1st July 1956, for that purpose.
(6) All regulations made under this section and any regulation varying or revoking the same shall have the same force and effect for all purposes as if they were contained in this Act.
(7) Regulations made under this section may provide that —
where a person has rendered full-time national service under section 12 of the Enlistment Act (Cap. 93), or under the provisions of any written law repealed by that Act (whether the service was rendered before or after the person became the holder of a pensionable office), the period of his entire full-time national service may be treated, to such extent and on such conditions as may be specified in the regulations, as pensionable service;
the service referred to in paragraph (a) shall be deemed to be public service; and
the person referred to in paragraph (a) shall be deemed to have been or to have continued to be, as the case may be, an officer in the public service for the period of that full-time national service for the purposes of this Act.