—(1) Where it appears to the competent authority that there may have been a breach of planning control in respect of any land, he may serve an information notice on any person who —
is an owner or occupier of the land or has any other interest in the land; or
is carrying out operations on the land or is using the land for any purpose.
(2) An information notice may require the person on whom it is served to give such information as may be specified in the notice relating to —
any operations being carried out on the land, any use of the land and any other activities being carried out on the land; and
any matter relating to the conditions subject to which any planning permission or conservation permission in respect of the land has been granted.
(3) In particular, an information notice may require the person on whom it is served —
to state whether or not the land is being used for any purpose specified in the notice or any operations or activities specified in the notice are being or have been carried out on the land;
to state when any use, operations or activities began;
to give the name and address of any person known to him to use or have used the land for any purpose, or to be carrying out or have carried out any operations or activities on the land;
to give any information he holds as to any planning permission or conservation permission for any use or operations or any reason for planning permission or conservation permission not being required for any use or operations;
to state the nature of his interest (if any) in the land and the name and address of any other person known to him to have an interest in the land.
(4) An information notice shall be complied with by giving the required information in writing to the competent authority.
(5) The service of an information notice does not affect any other power exercisable in respect of any breach of planning control.
(6) In this section, any reference to operations or activities on land shall include a reference to operations or activities in, under or over the land, and includes works in a conservation area.