REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE
Published by Authority
The following Act was passed by Parliament on 18th May 2010 and assented to by the President on 10th June 2010:—
Hindu Endowments (Amendment) Act 2010
(No. 12 of 2010)
S R NATHAN
10th June 2010.
Date of Commencement: 1st July 2010
An Act to amend the Hindu Endowments Act (Chapter 364 of the 1994 Revised Edition).
Be it enacted by the President with the advice and consent of the Parliament of Singapore, as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Hindu Endowments (Amendment) Act 2010 and shall come into operation on such date as the Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, appoint.
2. The Hindu Endowments Act (referred to in this Act as the principal Act) is amended by inserting, immediately after section 17, the following section:
17A. The Board may, with the approval of the Minister, form or participate in the formation of any company, or enter into any joint venture or partnership, to carry out any of the following:
the purposes of this Act;
the functions conferred or activities authorised by this Act;
the purposes of any endowment administered by the Board pursuant to an order of the Minister under section 18.”.
3. Section 21 of the principal Act is repealed and the following section substituted therefor:
21. The Board shall, with respect to any such endowment, have all such powers as it would have had if it had been named as trustee in the instrument creating the endowment, and in addition may, in any case —
appoint and remove any employee of any such endowment;
receive and collect the income of the endowment;
expend the income —
in defraying the expenses of the management of the endowment and of the Board;
in carrying out the purposes of the endowment;
in promoting social, cultural, educational or other activities that the Board considers to be for the public benefit; and
in fostering inter-religious communication and harmony;
raise funds by means of voluntary subscriptions, donations or contributions for the purposes of exercising its powers, performing its duties and discharging its obligations under this Act; and
promote or undertake publicity in any form.”.
4. Section 24 of the principal Act is amended —
by deleting “$400” and substituting “$5,000”; and
by deleting “$100” and substituting “$50”.
5. The principal Act is amended by inserting, immediately after section 34, the following section:
34A. No suit or other legal proceedings shall lie personally against —
any member of the Board;
the Secretary of the Board; or
any employee of the Board or other person acting under the direction of the Board,
for anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done by him in the execution or purported execution of this Act.”.