REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE
Published by Authority
|NO. 22]||Friday, September 11||[1987|
The following Act was passed by Parliament on 28th July 1987 and assented to by the President on 8th August 1987:—
Poisons (Amendment) Act 1987
(No. 21 of 1987)
WEE KIM WEE
8th August 1987.
Date of Commencement: 11th September 1987
An Act to amend the Poisons Act (Chapter 234 of the 1985 Revised Edition).
Be it enacted by the President with the advice and consent of the Parliament of Singapore, as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Poisons (Amendment) Act 1987 and shall come into operation on such date as the Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, appoint.
3. Section 10 of the Poisons Act is amended —
by deleting subsection (1) and substituting the following subsection:
“(1) A licensing officer may issue to any person, subject to such terms and conditions as the licensing officer may think fit, any licence authorising the person to import, possess for sale, sell or offer for sale any poison or for any purpose for which a licence may be prescribed:
Provided that no licence shall be issued to a medical practitioner other than a licence authorising him to import, possess and sell poisons by retail in connection with his own practice or with a practice or partnership in which every member is a medical practitioner.”; and
by deleting subsection (3) and substituting the following subsection:
4. Section 11 of the Poisons Act is repealed and the following section substituted therefor:
—(1) There shall be implied in every licence issued under this Act the condition that the licensee is bound to comply with all the provisions of this Act and any rules made thereunder.
(2) Every licence issued under this Act shall be personal to the licensee named therein and shall not in any case be transferable to another person and no licence shall authorise the sale of any poison by any person other than the person named therein.
(3) A licensing officer may, if he sees fit, amend the description in a licence of the premises at which the person licensed carries on the business or profession in connection with which he is licensed.”.
5. Section 12 of the Poisons Act is amended —
by deleting subsection (2) and substituting the following subsection:
“(2) The Director of Medical Services shall keep a register of licences showing all the particulars of each licence issued under this Act and the entries in the register shall be numbered to correspond with the serial numbers of the licences and there shall be noted in the register in the event of cancellation of any licence the date of such cancellation.”; and
by inserting, immediately after subsection (3), the following subsection:
7. Section 17(1) of the Poisons Act is amended —
by deleting the words “or any rules made thereunder”; and
by deleting “$5,000” and substituting “$10,000”.
9. Section 21(1) of the Poisons Act is amended by deleting the full-stop at the end of paragraph (m) and substituting a semi-colon, and by inserting immediately thereafter the following paragraph:
prescribing that any act or omission in contravention of any rule shall be an offence punishable by a fine not exceeding $5,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or both.”.