52. In this Part —
“approved hospital” means any hospital approved by the Minister for Health;
“insured person” means a person who is insured under the Scheme;
“MediShield Fund” means the fund established and maintained by the Board under section 56;
“Scheme” means the medical insurance scheme called the MediShield Scheme established and maintained by the Board under section 53.
53. The Board may establish and maintain a medical insurance scheme to be known as the MediShield Scheme for the purpose of paying the full or part of the costs incurred by an insured person for the treatment received by him in an approved hospital at any time during the period which he is insured under the Scheme.
—(1) Every insured person shall pay a premium of such an amount as may be prescribed by regulations made under this Part.
(2) The Board shall be entitled to deduct the amount of premium payable by a member or his dependant who is insured under the Scheme from the amount standing to the credit of that member’s medisave account.
—(1) An insured person or any other person who wishes to join the Scheme shall, when so required by the Board —
furnish to the Board such information as the Board thinks fit regarding that person’s background and health or members of his family; and
undergo such medical examination as the Board thinks fit.
(2) An insured person or any other person who wishes to join the Scheme shall be under a duty to disclose to the Board all material facts, which if known to the Board, would have reasonably affected the decision of the Board to permit that person to join the Scheme or entertain any claim made by the insured person under the Scheme.
(3) An insured person or any other person who wishes to join the Scheme shall be deemed to have —
given his consent to the Board to seek information from any doctor who has attended to him or any hospital where he has received treatment; and
authorised his doctor or the authority of that hospital to give such information to the Board.
—(1) The Board shall establish and maintain a fund to be known as the MediShield Fund into which shall be paid all premiums collected under this Part and out of which shall be met all payments to be paid by it under the Scheme.
(2) The MediShield Fund shall be controlled and administered by the Board.
(3) The moneys in the MediShield Fund may be invested by the Board in such manner as the Board thinks fit.
57. The Minister may make such regulations as are necessary or expedient for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Part and, in particular, such regulations may —
specify the members or class of members or other persons who are entitled to join the Scheme;
prescribe the conditions under which an insured person is entitled to claim the benefits payable under the Scheme;
prescribe the benefits payable to an insured person under the Scheme;
prescribe for the rates of premium payable by insured persons and the manner and time for payment of such premiums;
provide for the refund of any premium and the method or circumstances under which the refund shall be made and at such rates as may be prescribed;
provide for such information, evidence and documents that the Board may require an insured person to furnish for the purposes of this Part; and
provide for all matters which are required or permitted to be prescribed or which are necessary or convenient to be prescribed for carrying out or giving effect to this Part.