ESTABLISHMENT, INCORPORATION AND CONSTITUTION OF AGENCY
3. There is hereby established a body to be known as the Singapore Workforce Development Agency which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and shall, by that name, be capable of —
suing and being sued;
acquiring, owning, holding and developing, or disposing of property, both movable and immovable; and
doing and suffering all such other acts or things as a body corporate may lawfully do and suffer.
—(1) The Agency shall have a common seal and such seal may, from time to time, be broken, changed, altered or made anew as the Agency thinks fit.
(2) All deeds and other documents requiring the seal of the Agency shall be sealed with the common seal of the Agency.
(3) All instruments to which the common seal is affixed shall be signed by any 2 members generally or specially authorised by the Agency for the purpose or by one member and the chief executive.
(4) The Agency may, by resolution or otherwise in writing, appoint any officer of the Agency or any other agent either generally or in any particular case to execute or sign on behalf of the Agency any agreement or other instrument not under seal in relation to any matter coming within the powers of the Agency.
(5) All courts, judges and persons acting judicially shall take judicial notice of the common seal of the Agency affixed to any document and shall presume that it was duly affixed.
6. The Chairman may in writing authorise any member to exercise any power or perform any function conferred on the Chairman by or under this Act.
—(1) A member shall hold office on such conditions and for such term, not exceeding 3 years, as the Minister shall specify in his appointment, and may from time to time be re-appointed.
(2) Any member may at any time, by notice in writing to the Minister, resign from his office.
(3) The Minister may at any time revoke the appointment of any member without assigning any reason.
(4) If a member dies or resigns or has his appointment revoked, the Minister may appoint any person to fill the vacancy for the residue of the term for which the vacating member was appointed.
(5) The Agency shall pay to the Chairman, the Deputy Chairman and other members such salaries, fees and allowances as the Minister may, from time to time, determine.
8. The Minister may appoint any person to be a temporary Chairman, temporary Deputy Chairman or temporary member during the temporary incapacity from illness or otherwise, or during the temporary absence from Singapore, of the Chairman, the Deputy Chairman or any member, as the case may be.
—(1) At all meetings of the Agency, 5 members shall form a quorum.
(2) The Chairman or, in his absence, the Deputy Chairman shall preside at all meetings of the Agency and, in the absence of the Chairman and Deputy Chairman, the members present shall elect one of their number to preside.
(3) Meetings of the Agency shall be held at such times and places as the Chairman may determine.
(4) All questions arising at any meeting shall be decided by a majority of votes of the members present and voting.
(5) At any meeting of the Agency, the Chairman or, in his absence, the Deputy Chairman shall have a deliberative vote and, in the case of an equality of votes, he shall also have a casting vote.
(6) The validity of any proceedings of the Agency shall not be affected by any vacancy amongst its members or by any defect in the appointment of any member.
(7) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Agency may regulate its own proceedings.
—(1) A member who is in any way, directly or indirectly, interested in a transaction or project of the Agency shall disclose the nature of his interest at a meeting of the Agency.
(2) The disclosure by a member of his interest shall be recorded in the minutes of the Agency and that member shall not take part in any deliberation of the Agency with respect to the transaction or project.
(3) For the purpose of determining whether there is a quorum, a member shall be treated as being present at a meeting notwithstanding that under subsection (2) he cannot vote or has withdrawn from the meeting.