FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF BOARD
—(1) The functions of the Board shall be —
to raise total factor productivity and improve Singapore’s competitiveness through productivity and innovation promotion, domestic sector development, standards, conformance and any other activity considered necessary or desirable;
to promote, facilitate and assist in the development and upgrading of skills and expertise of persons preparing to join the workforce, persons in the workforce and persons rejoining the workforce, and to support the growth of small and medium enterprises and any other enterprise requiring its assistance;
[Deleted by Act 14/2003 wef 01/09/2003]
to assess and certify persons for achievements in productivity, innovation, skills or standards;
to register management systems personnel;
to promote and facilitate the national standardisation programme and the participation of Singapore in international standardisation activities;
to be the accreditation body for the assessment and accreditation of bodies and institutions whose activities include sampling, testing, calibration, inspection or certification;
to designate, appoint, authorise or recognise for any purpose any person who performs conformity assessment and any person who performs any test relating to conformity assessment, and to perform all functions necessary or incidental thereto, including —
determining the qualifications of such persons;
controlling and regulating the practice of such persons;
suspending, lifting the suspension of or withdrawing the designation, appointment, authorisation or recognition of such persons; and
establishing, maintaining and developing the standards of practice, and professional conduct and ethics, of such persons;
to serve as the national productivity, innovation and standards body, and to advise the Government and industrial, commercial, trading and other organisations in respect of matters relating to productivity, innovation and standards;
to represent the Government internationally in respect of matters relating to productivity, innovation, standards and conformity assessment; and
to administer the Weights and Measures Act (Cap. 349); and
to perform such other functions as are conferred on the Board by any other written law.
(1A) In carrying out its functions, the Board shall have regard to the policies and directions of the Research, Innovation and Enterprise Council established under the National Research Fund Act 2006.
(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed as imposing on the Board, directly or indirectly, any form of duty or liability enforceable by proceedings before any court.
(3) In addition to the functions and duties imposed by this section, the Board may undertake such other functions as the Minister may assign to the Board and in so doing, the Board shall be deemed to be fulfilling the purposes of this Act and the provisions of this Act shall apply to the Board in respect of such functions.
—(1) The Board shall have all such powers and may perform all such duties as it may consider necessary or expedient to enable it to carry out its functions under this Act.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) or to any other power conferred by this Act, the Board may —
establish, administer and operate any scheme considered necessary or desirable to the development and upgrading of skills and expertise of persons preparing to join the workforce, persons in the workforce and persons rejoining the workforce, the development and upgrading of the domestic sectors, the promotion of productivity, innovation, standards, standardisation and conformity assessment;
collect, compile, analyse and disseminate by any convenient means information of a statistical nature or otherwise concerning matters relating to its functions;
provide information resources on matters relating to productivity, innovation and standards;
publish or sponsor the publication of periodicals, booklets and other written materials and produce or sponsor the production of films and other audio-visual works on matters relating to productivity and standards;
promote and undertake publicity in any form on matters relating to productivity and standards;
organise courses, seminars, workshops and conferences in furtherance of its functions and award certificates of proficiency to persons who attend such courses, seminars, workshops and conferences;
conduct tests of proficiency on matters relating to productivity, innovation and standards;
establish and publish, from time to time, by notification in the Gazette, the Singapore Standard in relation to any product or process;
specify, by notification in the Gazette, all the certification marks of the Board for use in relation to any function of the Board and control the use of such certification marks;
inspect, examine or test materials, products and processes with a view to evaluating their quality, safety, serviceability and other characteristics and report thereon, and control the use of such reports;
[Deleted by Act 54/2007 wef 01/01/2008]
[Deleted by Act 54/2007 wef 01/01/2008]
undertake such accreditation and conformity assessment activities as the Board considers necessary for the upgrading of quality standards in industry or for gaining international recognition and acceptance of conformity declarations issued by accredited certification bodies;
initiate and undertake or enter into contractual testing, consultancy, research and development projects in pursuance of its functions under this Act;
prescribe and levy fees and charges for any of the purposes of this Act and recover any costs and expenses incurred as provided by regulations;
receive donations, grants, gifts and contributions from any source and raise funds by all lawful means;
act as agent for the Government or, with the approval of the Government, for any other person in the transaction of any business with a business enterprise in respect of loans or advances granted or debentures subscribed by the Government or such other person;
form or participate —
in the formation of any company for the purpose of carrying out all or any of the functions of the Board;
with the approval of the Minister, in the formation of any company for such other purposes as may be approved by the Minister; and
in any joint venture or partnership;
admit as a subscribing member of the Board any person, company or firm whose activities relate to the functions of the Board;
grant loans to officers or employees of the Board for any purposes specifically approved by the Board as are likely to increase the efficiency of its officers or employees;
provide recreational facilities and promote recreational activities for, and activities conducive to, the welfare of officers and employees of the Board and members of their families;
provide training for officers or employees of the Board and award scholarships or otherwise pay for such training; and
do such other acts as appear to the Board to be incidental or necessary to the discharge of its functions under this Act.
(3) This section shall not be construed as limiting any power of the Board conferred by or under any other written law.
—(1) The Minister may give to the Board such directions not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act as he thinks fit as to the carrying out by the Board of its functions under this Act and the Board shall give effect to such directions.
(2) The Board shall furnish the Minister with such information or facilities for obtaining information in respect of its property or the carrying out of its functions in such manner and at such times as the Minister may reasonably require.
9. The Board may appoint such number of inspectors as may be necessary to assist it in carrying out its functions or in exercising its powers, as provided in this Act, and for this purpose the Board may assign to them such duties, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, as it may think fit.
10. An inspector appointed under section 9, a senior officer of the Board authorised in writing in that behalf by the Chairman or the chief executive or a police officer not below the rank of sergeant may between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. enter and inspect, and take samples from, a place where he has reason to believe that there are —
products or processes in respect of which a certification mark or colourable imitation thereof is being used in contravention of this Act; or
products or processes which a person claims conform to a Singapore Standard when in fact they do not.
—(1) The Board may, in its discretion, appoint from among its own members or from among other persons who are not members of the Board such number of committees for purposes which, in the opinion of the Board, would be better regulated and managed by means of those committees.
(2) The Board may, subject to such conditions or restrictions as it thinks fit, delegate to any committee appointed under subsection (1) or to the Chairman or any member, officer or employee of the Board or to any other person as the Board thinks fit, any of its functions or powers under section 6 or 7.
(3) Any function or power delegated under subsection (2) may be exercised or performed by the committee or the person to whom it has been delegated, as the case may be, in the name and on behalf of the Board.
(4) The Board may continue to exercise any of its functions or powers under this Act, notwithstanding the delegation of such function or power under this section.