—(1) Any person may apply to the proper authority to be enlisted for regular service in the Singapore Armed Forces.
(2) Where a person applies to be enlisted for such regular service, the proper authority may require him to report for registration and fitness examination.
(3) Where the proper authority approves and accepts the application of any person for regular service, the proper authority shall notify the person of that acceptance and may require him to report for enlistment and service.
—(1) A person required to report under section 19 shall be liable to render regular service for the period approved by the proper authority and under such terms and conditions as may be provided for from time to time in regulations made under any written law relating to the armed forces.
(2) No person shall be liable to render regular service in excess of the period for which he has applied to serve.
(3) The proper authority may at any time order the discharge of a person from regular service before the expiry of his period of service for any reason provided for in regulations made under any written law relating to the armed forces.
(4) Subject to subsection (5), where a regular serviceman is sentenced by a subordinate military court to a discharge with ignominy or dismissal, he shall be deemed to be discharged from regular service on the occurrence of any of the following events:
where no petition of review or appeal has been lodged, the expiration of the time limited for the lodging of such petition; or
where a petition of review or appeal has been lodged, the confirmation of the sentence by the reviewing authority or the Military Court of Appeal, as the case may be.
(5) The discharge of a regular serviceman under subsection (4) shall take effect from the date of the sentence by reason of which he is discharged or from such other date as may be specified by the subordinate military court.