MANAGEMENT OF SCHOOLS — SUPERVISORS AND MANAGERS
—(1) Every school other than a Government school shall be administered by a committee of management:
Provided that if any school has only one manager the duties to be discharged by the committee of management shall be discharged by that manager.
(2) Except with the approval in writing of the Director-General, no committee of management shall exceed 9 persons in number.
(3) The committee of management shall be responsible for ensuring that the provisions of this Act, of the regulations made thereunder and of the terms of any constitution, written scheme or deed of trust approved for the school under section 23 are complied with.
—(1) If, at any time the Director-General is satisfied that a school is not being satisfactorily managed, he may appoint additional managers for such time as he may consider necessary, and the additional managers shall be deemed to be registered managers of the school and shall have power to enter the school premises at any time.
(2) If at any time in the opinion of the Director-General, by reason of resignation, death or any other cause, a school is left without an effective committee of management, the Director-General may require a new committee of management to be formed and may appoint such managers as he considers necessary to secure the continuance of the school until the names of the managers to constitute the new committee of management have been submitted and accepted for registration.
—(1) The committee of management of a school shall recommend for registration one of their members to be the supervisor of the school.
(2) The Director-General may withhold registration if he is not satisfied that the person recommended is a fit and proper person to act as supervisor for the purposes of this Act.
(3) If at any time it appears to the Director-General that the supervisor is no longer a fit and proper person to act as supervisor, he may withdraw registration and that person shall forthwith cease to be the supervisor of the school.
29. The duties of the supervisor of a school shall be —
to conduct all correspondence with the Director-General concerning the administration of the school;
to report to the Director-General forthwith by notice in writing the resignation of any manager of the school;
to report to the Director-General forthwith by notice in writing —
the appointment of any registered teacher as a principal of, or as a teacher in, the school; and
the termination of the appointment of the principal of, or of a teacher in, the school;
to report to the Director-General by notice in writing any change in the salary paid to the principal of, or to any teacher in, the school; and
to perform such other duties as may be laid down in the constitution,written scheme or deed of trust approved for the school or in regulations made under this Act.
—(1) If the Director-General withholds or withdraws registration of the supervisor recommended by the committee of management of a school or if the registered supervisor ceases to act as such because of his resignation, illness, absence, cancellation of his registration as manager or other cause, or if the registered supervisor is no longer acceptable as such to the majority of the committee of management, the committee of management shall forthwith recommend for registration another of their members as supervisor of the school.
(2) If at any time for any cause there is no supervisor of a school or the supervisor has ceased for any cause to act as such, then pending registration of a supervisor or of another person as supervisor, all the duties and responsibilities of the supervisor under this Act and the regulations made thereunder shall be discharged by and be vested in the committee of management and if there is only one manager and he for any cause is unable to perform the duties, then they shall be discharged by and be vested in the principal of the school.
—(1) Every manager of a school other than a manager appointed by the Director-General under section 27 shall be registered.
(2) Every application for registration as a manager of a school shall be made to the Director-General in the Form 3 set out in the Schedule and shall be countersigned by the supervisor of the school concerned if one has been appointed.
32. When application has been made under section 31 for registration as a manager of a school the Director-General shall, subject to section 33 and after such inquiry as may be necessary, register the applicant as a manager of the school of which he seeks to be a manager and shall inform the applicant in writing that he has been so registered.
33. The Director-General may in his discretion refuse to register any person as a manager of a school if —
the person has been convicted before any court of competent jurisdiction in Singapore or in Malaysia or in any part of the Commonwealth, of an offence punishable with imprisonment or of an offence under this Act or under any previous written law relating to education or the registration of schools or under any similar law in force at any time in Malaysia;
the person has previously been refused registration as a manager under either this Act or any previous written law relating to education or the registration of schools or any similar law in force at any time in Malaysia, or having been so registered has had his registration cancelled;
the person is not of good character;
the person has not the experience, knowledge, interest and skill to manage a school;
the person has at any time under any written law made a statement false or misleading in a material particular in an application for registration as manager or teacher; or
it will be prejudicial to the interests of Singapore or of the public or of the pupils of the school that the person should be so registered.
34. The Director-General may cancel the registration of any manager of a school —
if he has ceased to act as a manager or to perform the duties of a manager satisfactorily;
if he has contravened any of the provisions of this Act or the regulations made thereunder;
if, having qualified as a manager by reason of an interest in the school of which he is manager, he ceases to have that interest in the school;
if the registration of the school of which he is manager is cancelled;
if he is evading his responsibilities as a manager; or
if he is a person who ought not in the interests of Singapore or of the public or of the pupils of the school to remain a manager.