ESTABLISHMENT AND INCORPORATION
—(1) There shall be established a body to be called the Jurong Town Corporation.
(2) The Corporation shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold or dispose of property, both movable and immovable, to enter into contracts, to sue and be sued in its corporate name and to perform such other acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
4. The Minister, with the President’s concurrence under Article 22A(1)(b) of the Constitution, shall appoint a Chairman of the Corporation who shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, hold office for such period and on such terms as the Minister may determine.
—(1) The Corporation shall consist of —
a Chairman; and
not fewer than 4 and not more than 11 other members to be appointed by the Minister with the President’s concurrence under Article 22A(1)(b) of the Constitution.
(1A) The Minister may, with the President’s concurrence, appoint one of the members of the Corporation as Deputy Chairman.
(2) The quorum at all meetings of the Corporation shall be 4.
(3) The Chairman or any officer authorised by him to act on his behalf may call a meeting of the Corporation at least once in every 2 months or as often as he thinks fit.
(4) The members of the Corporation, other than the Chairman, shall, unless their appointment is revoked by the Minister under subsection (9) or unless they resign during their period of office, hold office for a period of 3 years or for such shorter period as the Minister may in any case determine.
(5) If for any reason the Chairman is absent or unable to act or the office of Chairman is vacant, the Deputy Chairman or, in the absence of both the Chairman and the Deputy Chairman, any member of the Corporation duly appointed by the members present at any meeting of the Corporation may exercise all or any of the powers conferred, or perform all or any of the duties imposed, on the Chairman under this Act.
(6) The Chairman or the person lawfully acting as Chairman at any meeting of the Corporation shall have an original as well as a casting vote.
(7) A member of the Corporation shall not, at any meeting of the Corporation, participate in any discussion relating to, and shall not vote in respect of, any business in which he is interested, and if he does so his vote shall not be counted nor shall he be counted in the quorum present at such meeting.
(8) The members of the Corporation shall be paid out of the funds of the Corporation such salaries, fees or allowances as the President may determine.
(9) The Minister with the President’s concurrence under Article 22A(1)(b) of the Constitution may at any time revoke the appointment of the Chairman, the Deputy Chairman or any other member of the Corporation.
—(1) The Minister may give to the Corporation such directions, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, as he considers fit, as to the exercise and performance by the Corporation of its powers, duties and functions under this Act and the Corporation shall give effect to all such directions.
(2) The Corporation shall furnish the Minister with such information with respect to its property and activities as he may from time to time require.
—(1) After consulting the Public Service Commission, the Corporation may, with the approval of the Minister and the President’s concurrence under Article 22A(1)(b) of the Constitution, appoint a chief executive officer on such terms and conditions as it may determine.
(2) The chief executive officer shall —
be known by such designation as the Corporation may determine;
be responsible to the Corporation for the proper administration and management of the functions and affairs of the Corporation in accordance with the policy laid down by the Corporation; and
not be removed from office without the consent of the Minister and the President’s concurrence under Article 22A(1)(b) of the Constitution.
(3) If the chief executive officer is temporarily absent from Singapore, or is temporarily unable to perform his duties by reason of illness or otherwise, another person may be appointed by the Corporation to act in the place of the chief executive officer during any such period of absence from duty.
(4) The Corporation may from time to time appoint and employ such other employees and agents as it thinks fit for the effective performance of its functions on such terms and conditions as the Corporation may determine.
—(1) The Corporation may, in its discretion, appoint from among its own members or other persons who are not members of the Corporation such number of committees as it thinks fit consisting of members or other persons or members and other persons for purposes which, in the opinion of the Corporation, would be better regulated and managed by means of those committees.
(2) The Corporation may, subject to such conditions or restrictions as it thinks fit, delegate to any such committee or the Chairman all or any of the powers, functions and duties by this Act vested in the Corporation, except the power to borrow money or to raise loans by the issue of bonds and debentures; and any power, function or duty so delegated may be exercised or performed by that committee or the Chairman in the name and on behalf of the Corporation.
(3) The Corporation may, subject to such conditions or restrictions as it thinks fit, delegate to any employee thereof all or any of the powers, functions and duties by this Act vested in the Corporation, except the power to borrow money or to raise loans; and any power, function or duty so delegated may be exercised or performed by the employee in the name and on behalf of the Corporation.
(4) The Corporation may continue to exercise any power conferred upon it, or perform any function or duty under this Act, notwithstanding the delegation of such power, function or duty under this section.
—(1) No matter or thing done and no contract of any kind entered into by the Corporation and no matter or thing done by any member of the Corporation or by any employee thereof or any other person whomsoever acting under the direction of the Corporation shall, if the matter or thing was done or the contract was entered into bona fide for the purpose of executing the provisions of this Act, subject any such member or employee or any person acting under the direction of the Corporation personally to any action, liability, claim or demand whatsoever in respect thereof.
(2) Any expense incurred by the Corporation or any member, employee or other person so acting under the direction of the Corporation shall be borne by and repaid out of the funds of the Corporation.