Misuse of Drugs Act
Misuse of Drugs (Board of Visitors for Approved Institutions) Regulations
G.N. No. S 271/1978
REVISED EDITION 1999
(1st July 1999)
[8th December 1978]
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Misuse of Drugs (Board of Visitors for Approved Institutions) Regulations.
2. In these Regulations, unless the context otherwise requires —
“Board” means the Board of Visitors appointed by the Minister under regulation 3;
“Superintendent” means a person appointed to be in charge of an approved institution.
—(1) The Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, appoint a Board of Visitors to advise and make recommendations to the Superintendent in respect of the matters referred to in regulation 9 at any approved institution.
(2) A Board may be appointed for one or more approved institutions as the Minister thinks fit.
5. A member of the Board shall —
hold office for a period of not more than 2 years from the date of his appointment; and
be eligible for reappointment on completion of that period unless the member resigns during his period of office or unless his appointment is revoked by the Minister under regulation 4(2).
7. A vacancy occurring in the Board shall be filled by a fresh appointment made by the Minister, and the person appointed to fill the vacancy shall hold office for so long as the member in whose place he is appointed would have held office.
8. The Superintendent shall assist any member of the Board in the exercise of his powers and the discharge of his functions under these Regulations.
—(1) Members of the Board shall satisfy themselves that the health, maintenance, recreation and discipline of the inmates are satisfactory and that an efficient standard is maintained throughout each approved institution, but shall not be concerned with the general administrative matters of the approved institutions.
(2) Members of the Board shall on every visit hear any complaint which any inmate may wish to make to them.
(3) Members of the Board shall send their comments and recommendations regarding an approved institution to the Superintendent.
(4) The Superintendent shall take such action as may be necessary on any recommendation made under paragraph (3) and report to the Board on any action taken as soon as possible.