ESTABLISHMENT, INCORPORATION AND CONSTITUTION OF BOARD
3. There is hereby established a body to be known as the Construction Industry Development Board which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and shall, by that name, be capable of —
suing and being sued;
acquiring, owning, holding and developing or disposing of property, both movable and immovable; and
doing and suffering all such other acts or things as a body corporate may lawfully do and suffer.
—(1) All deeds and other documents requiring the seal of the Board shall be sealed with the common seal of the Board and all instruments to which the common seal is affixed shall be signed by any two members generally or specially authorised by the Board for the purpose or by one member and the chief executive officer.
(2) All courts, judges and persons acting judicially shall take judicial notice of the common seal of the Board affixed to any document and shall presume that it was duly affixed.
5. The Board shall consist of the following members, all of whom shall be appointed by the Minister:
a member to be appointed as Chairman;
a member to be appointed as Deputy Chairman; and
not less than 5 nor more than 12 other members.
—(1) A member of the Board shall hold office for such term as the Minister shall specify in his appointment, being a term not exceeding 3 years, and may from time to time be reappointed.
(2) Any member of the Board may at any time by notice in writing to the Minister resign his office.
(3) If the Minister is satisfied that a member —
is a bankrupt or has made an arrangement with his creditors;
is incapacitated by physical or mental illness; or
is otherwise unable or unfit to discharge his duties,
the Minister may terminate his appointment as a member and shall notify the fact in such manner as he thinks fit.
(4) If a member dies or resigns or has his appointment terminated, the Minister may appoint a person to fill the vacancy for the residue of the term for which the vacating member was appointed.
(5) The Board shall pay to the Chairman, the Deputy Chairman and other members of the Board such salaries, fees and allowances as the Minister may from time to time determine.
—(1) At all meetings of the Board 4 members shall form a quorum.
(2) The Chairman or in his absence the Deputy Chairman shall preside at all meetings of the Board and in their absence the members present shall elect one of their number to preside.
(3) Meetings of the Board shall be held at such times and places as the Board may determine.
(4) All questions arising at any meeting shall be decided by a majority of the votes of the members present and voting.
(5) At any meeting of the Board the Chairman or in his absence the Deputy Chairman shall have a deliberative vote and, in the case of an equality of votes, he shall also have a casting vote.
(6) The validity of any proceedings of the Board shall not be affected by any vacancy amongst its members or by any defect in the appointment of any member.
(7) Subject to the provisions of this Act the Board may regulate its own proceedings.
8. A member of the Board who is in any way directly or indirectly interested in a transaction or project of the Board shall disclose the nature of his interest at a meeting of the Board; and the disclosure shall be recorded in the minutes of the Board and the member shall not take part in any deliberation of the Board with respect to that transaction or project.
—(1) The Board may from time to time appoint, alter and discharge committees, consisting of one or more persons (whether members of the Board or not), and define and vary the terms of reference of those committees.
(2) Subject to this Act and any rules made thereunder and to the control of the Board, each committee appointed under this section may regulate its procedure in such manner as it thinks fit.
—(1) The Board shall, with the approval of the Minister, appoint a chief executive officer on such terms and conditions as the Board may determine.
(2) The chief executive officer shall be known by such designation as the Board may determine and shall be responsible to the Board for the proper administration and management of its functions and affairs in accordance with the policy laid down by the Board.
(3) The Board may from time to time appoint such other officers and employees as it thinks fit for the effective performance of its functions.