Powers of Authority
1. To grant licences for telecommunication purposes under the Telecommunications Act (Cap. 323) and to supervise and enforce compliance with the provisions of such licences.
2. To give directions to any person granted a licence under the Telecommunications Act or any regulations made thereunder.
3. To levy such charges and fees for the granting of such licences, spectrum rights, administration of spectrum registrations, equipment approvals and other services provided by the Authority as may in its opinion be appropriate.
4. To regulate rates, charges and fees levied by operators of telecommunication systems and services.
5. To issue or approve standards of performance and codes of practice and advisory guidelines relating to information and communications technology, or any other matter related to the functions of the Authority.
6. To regulate the interconnection of and access to systems of operators of telecommunication systems and services.
7. To regulate the sharing of installation or plant used for telecommunications between telecommunication licensees.
8. To control and regulate the availability, and terms of provision, by telecommunication licensees of directory and directory-enquiry services.
9. To control and regulate the sharing and terms of provision by telecommunication licensees of information on customers’ particulars for the purpose of establishing an integrated directory.
10. To control and regulate the management and allocation of numbering plans and schemes for telecommunication systems and services.
11. To control and regulate interference to telecommunications in Singapore by radiowaves or electrical or other means.
12. To control and regulate the importation of, dealing in and use of telecommunication equipment.
13. To operate every installation or plant for telecommunication purposes and all movable and immovable property used in connection therewith which is or which may be acquired by the Authority under this Act or the Telecommunications Act (Cap. 323).
14. To utilise all the property of the Authority, movable and immovable, in such manner as the Authority may think expedient including the raising of loans by mortgaging such property.
15. To purchase, construct, reconstruct, install and maintain any installation or plant for telecommunication purposes.
16. To sell, hire, let or otherwise supply any installation or plant for telecommunication purposes and install, repair, maintain or remove such installation or plant.
17. To lease or let, with or without taking a premium, any property vested in or acquired by it or to grant easements, rights of way, temporary licences or other rights or privileges over, under, through or in respect of any land or building belonging to or vested in the Authority upon such terms and conditions as the Authority may think fit.
18. To subscribe for or acquire any securities, stocks and shares of an incorporated company or other body corporate, to procure its admission to membership of an incorporated company limited by guarantee and not having a share capital, to promote the formation of an incorporated company or participate in the promotion of such company or to acquire an undertaking or part of an undertaking.
19. To form or participate in the formation of any company or in any joint venture as a shareholder or partner or in any other capacity, with any firm, body corporate, society or institution for the purposes of this Act or any other written law.
20. To carry out such other works or activities as may appear to the Authority to be requisite, advantageous or convenient, with a view to making the best use of any of the assets of the Authority.
21. To provide electronic mail services.
22. To provide all forms of information and communications technology systems and services, whether interactive or otherwise, including data processing.
23. To levy such rates, charges and fees and to decide such rates or apportionment thereof as between itself and other telecommunication authorities as may in its opinion be appropriate.
24. To engage in conjunction with other authorities, international agencies or organisations for the purposes of promoting telecommunication systems and services.
25. To enter into all such contracts for the supply of goods or materials or for the execution of works or any other contract as may be necessary for the discharge of its duties and functions under this Act or any other written law.
26. To engage alone or in conjunction with other corporations, in the production, manufacture or sale, whether in Singapore or elsewhere, of any appliance, apparatus or accessory used or intended to be used for telecommunication purposes.
27. To conduct or to supervise the conduct of proficiency examinations leading to certificates of competency for any person for the purpose of operating any telecommunication system and service or for the grant of a licence by the Authority.
28. To organise courses, awards, diplomas and certificates of proficiency.
29. To charge fees or commissions for services rendered.
30. To promote or undertake publicity in any form.
31. To establish, maintain and promote data protection and standards and codes relating to privacy.
32. To authorise or regulate the registration, administration and management of domain names in Singapore.
33. To grant loans to officers or employees of the Authority for such purposes specifically approved by the Authority as are likely to increase the efficiency of officers or employees.
34. To grant or guarantee loans to any officer or employee of the Authority for the purchase of a house, land or a flat or for the renovation of a house or a flat for the use or occupation of the officer or employee and his family (if any).
35. To make provision for gratuities, pensions, allowances or other benefits for employees or former employees of the Authority or its predecessors.
36. To make provision for the specialised training of any employee of the Authority and, in that connection, to offer scholarships to intending trainees or otherwise pay for the cost of the training and all expenditure incidental thereto.
37. To offer bursaries and scholarships for study at any school or institution of higher learning to members of the public and officers or employees of the Authority and members of their families.
38. To provide financial grant, aid or assistance to any person for all or any of the purposes of this Act or the Telecommunications Act (Cap. 323).
39. To operate such agency services as the Authority may think fit and to employ such number of agents to do anything the Authority may do.
40. To receive donations and contributions from any source and raise funds by all lawful means.
41. To do anything incidental to any of its functions under this Act or any other written law.