GENERAL PROVISIONS AS TO MEMBERS OF TOWN COUNCIL
—(1) Every elected member of a Town Council shall assume his office upon his election as a Member of Parliament and shall vacate his office if he ceases to be a Member of Parliament for the constituency comprised within the Town for which the Town Council is established.
(2) Subject to subsection (1), every elected member of a Town Council shall hold office for the duration of the Parliament in which he is elected and shall not resign or vacate his office as a member and any purported resignation or vacation of office in breach of this subsection shall be deemed to be invalid.
—(1) Subject to subsection (2), an appointed member shall hold office for a term of 2 years and on such conditions as the chairman may determine and shall be eligible for reappointment.
(2) Every appointed member of a Town Council shall cease to be a member upon the assumption of office of the chairman of the Town Council after any general election or by-election in any constituency comprised within the Town under the Parliamentary Elections Act (Cap. 218), unless the member earlier resigns or vacates his office in accordance with this Act.
(3) The chairman may appoint any person to be a temporary appointed member of a Town Council during the temporary incapacity from illness or otherwise, or during the temporary absence from Singapore, of any appointed member.
(4) The chairman may, at any time, revoke the appointment of any appointed member without assigning any reason.
(5) Any appointed member may resign from his appointment at any time by giving notice in writing to the chairman.
(6) The office of an appointed member shall be vacated if he —
has been absent, without leave of the chairman, from 3 consecutive meetings of the Town Council;
where he was a resident of any housing estate within the Town, ceases to be so resident; or
becomes in any manner disqualified for membership of the Town Council.
(7) If an appointed member resigns, dies or has his appointment revoked or otherwise vacates his office before the expiry of the term for which he has been appointed, the chairman may appoint a person to fill the vacancy for the residue of the term for which the vacating member was appointed.
(8) No person shall be appointed or shall continue to hold office as an appointed member of a Town Council if he —
is not a citizen of Singapore;
is an undischarged bankrupt or has made any arrangement with his creditors; or
has been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of not less than one year or to a fine of not less than $2,000 and has not received a free pardon.
(9) The disqualification of a person under subsection (8)(c) may be removed by the President and shall, if not so removed, cease at the end of 5 years beginning from the date on which the person was released from custody or the date on which the fine was imposed on the person.
—(1) A member of a Town Council who is in any way, directly or indirectly, interested in a transaction or project of the Town Council shall disclose the nature of his interest at a meeting of the Town Council.
(2) The disclosure under subsection (1) shall be recorded in the minutes of the Town Council and the member shall not take part in any deliberation of the Town Council with respect to that transaction or project.
(3) For the purpose of determining whether there is a quorum, a member shall be treated as being present at a meeting notwithstanding that under subsection (2) he cannot vote or has withdrawn from the meeting.
—(1) Subject to subsection (2), the chairman, vice-chairmen and other members of a Town Council may be paid, out of the Town Council Fund, such allowances as may be prescribed.
(2) Any full-time chairman, vice-chairmen and other members of a Town Council may be paid, out of the Town Council Fund, such salaries as may be prescribed.