CODES OF PRACTICE
—(1) The Authority may issue one or more codes of practice for the regulation of activities and conduct in the gas industry.
(2) The Authority may at any time modify any code of practice issued under subsection (1) in such manner as may be specified in that code of practice.
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1) or (2), the Authority may require any gas licensee to prepare for its consideration such code of practice or such modification to any code of practice as the Authority may determine.
(4) Any code of practice issued or modified by the Authority under this section shall be published by the Authority in such manner as will secure adequate publicity.
(5) If any provision in any code of practice issued by the Authority is inconsistent with any regulations made under this Act, such provision shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, either have effect subject to such regulations or, where appropriate, having regard to such regulations, shall not have effect.
(6) The Authority shall specify the codes of practice which are applicable to a gas licensee or a class of gas licensees and each gas licensee shall, subject to subsection (7), comply with such codes of practice as are applicable to it.
(7) The Authority may exempt, either generally or subject to such conditions as the Authority may determine, any gas licensee or class of gas licensees from any provision in any code of practice which is applicable to that gas licensee or class of gas licensees.
(8) Any code of practice issued by the Authority under this section shall be deemed not to be subsidiary legislation.
(9) In this section, a reference to a code of practice shall include a reference to a standard of performance.
—(1) The Authority may give directions to a gas licensee or any other person for or with respect to any code of practice, standard of performance or other procedures —
to ensure the security or reliability of the conveyance of gas to consumers’ premises;
in the interests of public safety; or
as may be necessary to enable the Authority to carry out its functions and duties under section 3(3).
(2) Any person who fails to comply with any direction given by the Authority under subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence.