REGISTRATION OF CRIMINALS
—(1) The Registrar shall keep a register of —
persons convicted of any crime within Singapore;
persons convicted of any offence committed within, and registrable under the law of, Malaysia;
persons ordered to be banished, expelled or deported from Singapore or Malaysia;
persons convicted of any offence in, or banished, deported or expelled from, any place outside the principal registration area, whose registration may be approved under section 5,
and shall record therein registrable particulars as hereinafter provided.
(2) The register shall be kept at such place or places within or without Singapore and in such manner as the Minister may direct.
—(1) The Minister may approve the registration under this Act of any person convicted of any offence in, or banished, deported or expelled from, any place outside the principal registration area in respect of whom any registrable particulars are furnished to the Registrar by the officer in charge of any criminal records, register of criminals or person in such place.
(2) Any approval given under this section may be either general, in respect of any place or of any class of case, or special in respect of a particular case.
(3) Every general approval given under this section shall be signified by notification in the Gazette.
6. Subject to section 7, the Registrar shall record in the register any registrable particulars which are forwarded to him —
by any officer of Malaysia who is authorised by the law of that territory to forward those particulars for registration; or
by the officer in charge of any criminal records, register of criminals or prison in any place outside the principal registration area and which relate to a person whose registration has been approved under section 5.
—(1) The Commissioner of Police may in his discretion direct, either generally or in particular cases, that any person who —
has been convicted of an offence included in the Second Schedule;
has upon such conviction been sentenced to a fine not exceeding $1,000 and not to imprisonment except in default of payment of the fine; and
has not previously been registered as a criminal,
need not be registered as hereinbefore provided.
(2) When any such direction has been given, the Registrar shall retain the registrable particulars of that person for 6 months from the date of receipt thereof and shall then destroy them: