—(1) No person shall knowingly or recklessly issue or publish, or cause to be issued or published, any advertisement relating to a private education institution which is false or misleading in a material particular.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) —
“advertisement” includes an advertisement that is made available —
in a newspaper, magazine, journal or other periodical published or circulated in Singapore or elsewhere;
in a sound or television broadcast transmitted for reception in Singapore or elsewhere; or
by any other means of broadcasting or communication for circulation or reception in Singapore or elsewhere; and
an advertisement relating to a private education institution shall be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to be false or misleading in a material particular if the advertisement —
falsely describes the private education institution;
contains any false or misleading information concerning the private education institution or any course offered or provided by the private education institution; or
does not contain such information, or is not in accordance with such requirements, as may be prescribed.
(3) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.
—(1) Without prejudice to the generality of section 59, where any person has issued or published, or caused to be issued or published, any advertisement in contravention of section 43(12) or 46, the Council may direct the person to do all or any of the following at the person’s expense:
take all practicable steps to withdraw the advertisement;
modify the advertisement in such manner as may be specified or approved by the Council;
cease the issue or publication of any other advertisement which is wholly or substantially the same as the first-mentioned advertisement;
issue or publish, or cause to be issued or published, a corrective advertisement in such manner and containing such information as may be specified or approved by the Council.
(2) The person to whom the Council has issued a direction under subsection (1) shall bear all costs and expenses arising from complying with the direction.
(3) Where the person to whom the Council has issued a direction under subsection (1) fails to comply with the direction, the Council may take such steps as it thinks reasonable and necessary to give effect to the direction and recover all costs and expenses reasonably incurred by it in so doing from that person as a civil debt due to the Council.
(4) Any person who contravenes any direction of the Council issued under subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence.