UNITS AND STANDARDS OF MEASUREMENT
—(1) The metre shall be the unit of measurement of length and the kilogram shall be the unit of measurement of mass by reference to which any measurement involving a measurement of length or mass shall be made in Singapore.
(2) The First Schedule shall have effect for defining, for the purposes of measurements falling to be made in Singapore, the units of measurements set out in that Schedule; and for the purposes of any measurement of weight falling to be so made, the weight of anything may be expressed, by reference to the units of measurements set out in Part V of that Schedule, in the same terms as its mass.
(3) [Deleted by Act 30/2005 wef 01/01/2006]
—(1) There shall be maintained by the Agency for Science, Technology and Research established under section 3 of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research Act (Cap. 5A) or such other person as the Minister may, by notification in the Gazette, specify the standards of the metre and kilogram (referred to in this Act as the Singapore standards) by reference to which all other standards of —
those units; and
any other unit of measurement derived wholly or partly from any of those units,
(2) The Minister shall from time to time as may appear to him expedient cause —
the value of each of the Singapore standards to be determined or redetermined; and
any authorised copy of any of those standards to be compared with, and its value determined or redetermined by reference to, that standard,
in such manner as the Minister may direct.
(3) The reference standards shall consist of standards of all the measures set out in Parts I and II, and the weights set out in Part III, of the Second Schedule other than capacity measures of more than 10 litres; and any such standard shall be constructed and, while it remains in use, from time to time have its value or values redetermined by reference to one or more of the Singapore standards maintained under subsection (1).
(4) [Deleted by Act 30/2005 wef 01/01/2006]
(5) [Deleted by Act 30/2005 wef 01/01/2006]
(6) The Minister may from time to time by order amend the Second Schedule by adding to or removing from Part I or II of that Schedule any linear or capacity measure or from Part III of that Schedule any weight.
(7) The Controller shall provide for use by the inspectors and maintain or from time to time replace such standards of the measures and weights set out in the Second Schedule, and such instruments for testing and the affixing of stamps and Accuracy Labels as the Controller may from time to time approve or require as being proper and sufficient for the efficient discharge of their duties.