REGISTRATION OF PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS
—(1) Subject to this section, the following persons shall, on payment of the prescribed fee, be entitled to registration under this Act as professional engineers:
any person who holds any degree or qualification or who satisfies such other requirements which the Minister may, after consultation with the Board and by notification in the Gazette, approve for the purpose of the registration of persons as professional engineers under this Act; and
any person who satisfies the Board that he is otherwise qualified by having proper and recognised academic qualifications in engineering and who satisfies such conditions as the Board may determine.
(2) No person shall be entitled to registration under subsection (1)(a) or (b) unless he satisfies the Board that he has, after obtaining his qualifications —
acquired not less than 4 years’ practical experience in such professional engineering work and at such level of responsibility as to be sufficiently competent for registration as a professional engineer under this Act; and
sat and passed such examination as may be prescribed by the Board.
(3) The Minister may, after consultation with the Board, by order published in the Gazette, exempt, subject to such conditions as he thinks fit, any person from the requirements of subsection (2).
(4) The Board may refuse to register any applicant who in the opinion of the Board —
is not of good character and reputation; or
is unable to carry out the duties of a professional engineer effectively.
(5) Any person whose application for registration has been refused by the Board may, within 30 days after being notified of such refusal, appeal to the High Court whose decision shall be final.
—(1) A registered professional engineer who —
has sat and passed such examination as may be prescribed by the Board, or holds such postgraduate degrees or qualifications or has gained such special knowledge in a specialised branch of engineering as may be approved by the Board;
has such experience in that specialised branch of engineering as may be required by the Board; and
has fulfilled such further conditions as may be specified by the Board,
may apply to the Board to be registered as a specialist professional engineer.
(2) The Board may, with the approval of the Minister, make regulations for all or any of the following purposes:
providing for the registration of specialists in any specialised branch of engineering;
regulating the recording in, removal from, and restoration to the register of specialist professional engineers of the names, particulars and qualifications of persons so registered;
providing for appeals by registered professional engineers against any refusal of the Board to register them in the register of specialist professional engineers or to restore their names to that register or against any decision of the Board to remove their names from that register;
prescribing the fees payable in respect of —
any application for registration as a specialist professional engineer;
any such registration as a specialist professional engineer;
any restoration of names to the register of specialist professional engineers; and
(3) The Registrar shall, from time to time, prepare and publish in the Gazette a list of the names, addresses and qualifications of all specialist professional engineers.
16. Every application for registration under this Act shall be made to the Board in such form and manner as may be prescribed.
17. Every person registered as a professional engineer under this Act shall, on payment of the prescribed fee, be entitled to receive a certificate of registration under the hand of the Registrar.
17A. The Registrar shall —
amend the register of professional engineers when there is any alteration which may come to his knowledge in the name, address or other relevant particulars of any registered professional engineer;
correct any error in any entry in the register of professional engineers; and
remove from the register of professional engineers the name of any person —
whose name has been ordered to be removed under any provision of this Act; or
who is deceased.
—(1) The Board may order the name and other particulars of a registered professional engineer to be removed from the register of professional engineers if he —
has no address in Singapore at which he can be contacted or sent any document using his particulars in the register; or
has not renewed his practising certificate for a continuous period of not less than 10 years.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of Part VII, the Board may order the name and other particulars of a registered professional engineer to be removed from the register of professional engineers if it comes to the knowledge of the Board that —
he has obtained his registration by fraud or misrepresentation;
his qualification for registration under section 15 has been withdrawn or cancelled by the authority through which it was acquired or by which it was awarded; or
(3) The Board shall, before exercising its powers under subsection (2), notify the registered professional engineer concerned of its intention to take such action and shall give the registered professional engineer an opportunity to submit reasons, within such period as the Board may determine, as to why his name should not be removed from the register.
(4) Any person aggrieved by an order made by the Board under subsection (2) may, within 30 days of being notified of the order, appeal to the Minister whose decision shall be final.
(5) Any registered professional engineer may apply to the Board to have his name and particulars removed from the register of professional engineers.
(6) Every application under subsection (5) shall be made in such form as the Board may require and the Board may, if it thinks fit, require either or both of the following:
that the application should be supported by a statutory declaration;
that the applicant should advertise his intention to make the application in such manner as the Board shall direct.
(7) Subject to subsection (8), the Board may, upon receiving an application made under subsection (5), direct the Registrar to remove the name and particulars of the applicant from the register of professional engineers.
(8) No order shall be made on an application under subsection (5) if the Board is satisfied that —
disciplinary action is pending against the applicant; or
the conduct of the applicant is the subject of an inquiry by an Investigation Committee.
—(1) Any person whose name and particulars have been removed from the register of professional engineers under section 31G(2)(a) shall, if his appeal to the High Court under section 31H is allowed, be immediately reinstated without payment of any fee.
(2) The Board may, in its discretion, after the expiration of not less than 3 years from the removal from the register of professional engineers of the name and particulars of any person, consider any fresh application for registration by that person in accordance with the provisions of Part IV.