—(1) A chairman of a Town Council shall be appointed by the elected members from among their number within 30 days after any general election or by-election in any constituency comprised within the Town under the Parliamentary Elections Act (Cap. 218) for such term as the elected members may determine.
(2) The first chairman of a Town Council shall be so appointed within 7 days after the establishment of the Town Council.
(3) Where the elected members fail to appoint a chairman under subsection (1), the Minister shall appoint any elected member to be the chairman for such term as the Minister may determine.
(4) Where the area of a Town comprises only one constituency (other than a group representation constituency), the Member of Parliament for that constituency shall be the chairman during his tenure of office as a Member of Parliament for that constituency.
(5) The chairman shall appoint from among the members not more than 2 vice-chairmen for such term, not exceeding 2 years, as he may determine.
(6) The chairman or a vice-chairman, if he is an elected member, shall hold office as chairman or vice-chairman, as the case may be, only so long as he is an elected member and shall be eligible for reappointment.
(7) Where all the elected members of a Town Council have vacated their seats in Parliament by reason of a dissolution of Parliament or otherwise, the appointed members shall, with the approval of the Minister, forthwith appoint one of their number to act as chairman for such term as they may determine; and where such members fail to do so, the Minister shall appoint any appointed member to act as chairman for such term as the Minister may determine.
(8) Any chairman appointed under subsection (7) may, with the approval of the Minister, appoint not less than 6 nor more than 30 members, of whom not less than two-thirds shall be residents of any housing estate of the Board within the Town.
(9) The appointment of any chairman under subsection (7) —
shall terminate upon the assumption of office of the elected member or members; or
may be revoked by the Minister if he is satisfied that it is desirable in the public interest to do so and thereupon another chairman shall be appointed in the same manner prescribed in subsection (7).
(10) The chairman may at any time revoke the appointment of any vice-chairman without assigning any reason.
(11) The chairman and any vice-chairman of a Town Council shall, as soon as practicable after their assumption of office, complete a declaration of acceptance of such office in the form prescribed in the Schedule and deliver the declaration to the Minister.
(12) Any failure to comply with subsection (11) by the chairman or vice-chairman shall not invalidate his term of office.
(13) A Town Council shall as soon as practicable publish in the Gazette the names of the chairman, the vice-chairmen and other members of the Town Council.
History for Provision '9 Chairman and vice-chairmen'.
09 November 2004
Act 45 of 2004
25 November 2004
Act 47 of 2004
15 August 2005
Act 23 of 2005