—(1) The Comptroller may by notice in writing, if he thinks it necessary, declare any person to be the agent of any taxable person.
(2) The person declared the agent under subsection (1) shall be the agent of the taxable person for the purposes of this Act and may be required to pay any tax due or which may become due in respect of taxable supplies made before the date of the notice, from any moneys, including pensions, salary, wages or any other remuneration, which, at the date of receipt of the notice or at any time not later than 90 days thereafter may be held by him for or due by him to the person whose agent he has been declared to be, and in default of such payment, the tax shall be recoverable from him in the manner provided by section 78.
(3) For the purposes of this section, the Comptroller may require any person to give him information as to any moneys, funds or other assets which may be held by him for, or of any moneys due by him to, any other person.
(4) For the purposes of payment of any tax due from any moneys referred to in subsection (2) in a joint account at any bank or from the proceeds of sale of any immovable property owned by 2 or more persons as joint owners, the following provisions shall apply:
the person declared by the Comptroller under subsection (1) to be the agent of any person who is an owner of such moneys shall —
within 14 days of the receipt of the notice under subsection (1), send a notice by registered post addressed to every owner of such moneys at the address last known to the agent informing the owner of such declaration; and
it shall be presumed, until the contrary is proved, that the holders of a joint account at any bank shall have equal share of the moneys in the account as at the date of receipt of the notice under subsection (1) and that the joint owners of any immovable property shall share the proceeds of sale of the property equally;
any owner of such moneys who objects to the share presumed under paragraph (b) shall give notice of his objection in writing to the person declared to be the agent under subsection (1) within 28 days of the receipt of the notice of the agent under paragraph (a)(i), or within such further period as the Comptroller in his discretion may allow, and furnish proof as to his share of the moneys;
where an objection under paragraph (c) has been received, the person declared to be the agent shall —
inform the Comptroller of the objection within 7 days of the receipt of the objection;
the Comptroller shall consider the objection and shall by notice in writing inform the person declared to be the agent of his decision and the agent shall, notwithstanding any appeal under paragraph (f), pay over any tax due from the share of moneys decided by the Comptroller as the amount, not exceeding the amount presumed under paragraph (b) to be the share of the person by whom the tax is payable, held by him for or due by him to the person;
for the purpose of this subsection, “joint account” means any account in the names of 2 or more persons but excludes any partnership account, trust account and any account where a minor is one of the joint account holders.
(5) Any person making any payment to the Comptroller under this section shall be deemed to have been acting under the authority of the person by whom any tax is payable and is hereby indemnified in respect of such payment.
(6) For the purposes of this section, “tax” includes any penalty or any other money which a person is liable to pay to the Comptroller under this Act.