PIONEER SERVICE COMPANIES
16. In this Part, unless the context otherwise requires —
“commencement day”, in relation to a pioneer service company, means the date specified under section 17(3) or (4) in the certificate issued to that company under that section;
“pioneer service company” means a company which has been issued with a certificate under section 17;
“qualifying activity” means any of the following:
any engineering or technical services including laboratory, consultancy and research and development activities;
computer-based information and other computer related services;
the development or production of any industrial design; and
such other services or activities as may be prescribed.
—(1) Where a company is engaged in any qualifying activity, the company may apply in the prescribed form to the Minister for approval as a pioneer service company.
(2) The Minister may, if he considers it expedient in the public interest to do so, approve the application and issue the company with a certificate subject to such terms and conditions as he thinks fit.
(3) Every certificate issued under this section shall specify a date as the commencement day from which the company shall be entitled to tax relief under this Part.
(4) The Minister may, in his discretion, upon the application of the company, amend its certificate by substituting for the commencement day specified therein such earlier or later date as he thinks fit and thereupon the provisions of this Part shall have effect as if the date so substituted were the commencement day in relation to that certificate.
18. The tax relief period of a pioneer service company, in relation to any qualifying activity specified in any certificate issued to that company under section 17, shall commence on the commencement day and shall continue for a period of 5 years or such longer period, not exceeding 15 years, as the Minister may determine.
19. Sections 7 to 15 shall apply to a pioneer service company under this Part and for the purposes of such application —
any reference to a pioneer enterprise shall be read as a reference to a pioneer service company;
any reference to a pioneer product shall be read as a reference to a qualifying activity;
any reference to the production day of a pioneer enterprise shall be read as a reference to the commencement day of a pioneer service company;
any reference to a pioneer certificate shall be read as a reference to a certificate issued under section 17.