RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS OF AUTHORITY
—(1) The Minister shall require the authority to provide and maintain in the free trade zone such facilities as he may consider necessary for the proper and efficient functioning of the free trade zone.
(2) The Minister shall give to the authority such directions as are necessary to ensure compliance with the provisions of this Act and for the purpose of protecting the revenue, and the authority shall comply with those directions.
(3) The authority shall permit customs offices to be established in a free trade zone and shall provide adequate facilities for officers of customs whose duties require their presence within or at the perimeter of the zone.
(4) The authority shall provide adequate enclosures to segregate the free trade zone from customs territory for the protection of the revenue, together with suitable provisions for the movements of persons, conveyances, vessels and goods into and from the free trade zone.
—(1) The authority may permit any person to erect such buildings and other structures within the free trade zone as may be required:
Provided that such permission shall not constitute a vested right as against the authority or the Government.
(2) Such permission shall not be granted on terms that conflict with the proper use of the free trade zone.
(3) The authority may, after consultation with the Director-General for the protection of the revenue, lease to or allow any person to take, hold or enjoy movable and immovable property of every description in a free trade zone upon such terms and conditions and for such period as the authority may determine.
—(1) The authority may at any time in its discretion order the exclusion or removal from the free trade zone of any goods, or the discontinuance of any operations, which in its opinion are dangerous or prejudicial to the public interest, health or safety.
(2) Any person aggrieved by such an order may appeal to the Minister within 14 days of the service of the order, and the decision of the Minister shall be final and shall not be questioned in any court.
(3) An order by the authority as to the exclusion or removal of any goods which in its opinion are dangerous or prejudicial to the public interest, health or safety shall, notwithstanding an appeal to the Minister, be complied with immediately, but an order as to the discontinuance of operations shall not take effect, if an appeal has been made to the Minister, until the determination of the appeal in favour of the authority.
—(1) The authority shall present to the Minister annually and at such other times as the Minister may prescribe reports containing a full and correct statement of all operations, receipts and expenditure and such other information as the Minister may require.
(2) The Minister shall prescribe the form and the manner of keeping the accounts of the free trade zone.
(3) The accounts of the authority, together with its annual report, shall, in accordance with such directions as may be given by the Minister, be presented to Parliament.